Chapter 73

Cybelline looked at the giant block of ice and the darkening sky.

FLASH. Lightning crackled onto the earth. Cybelline looked up at the sky, at the thunder clouds and frowned. As if they got a signal, the clouds began to scurry away.

Cybelline walked through the field of ice, toward the giant ball of ice. She brushed off the tendrils of icy air as if they were nothing and stood in front of the frozen bird.

She placed a slender hand on the ice in front of her. Oqir held his breath, just what was this dark fae going to do?

"You are making a lot of noise. Hush" She told the ice block.

The bird trapped in the ice could only move its head slightly. Cybelline closed her eyes and felt the magic within the ice. It stung, its blue aura much like the vein of blue magic in her body. She felt another, less friendly magic. It was grey and ate away at the blue magic like rot and mold. Cybelline could feel the blue magic becoming weaker and weaker as the grey magic spread.

Moldy magic? Was this what made the bird look so gross since she's seen it? It was like a poison with sentience. Gently, wrapping her hand in light magic, she touched it. The grey magic enjoyed the light magic and ate it.

Cybelline tried with her fire magic as well, but the same results happened.

Amongst the magic she could control, each one seemed to feed the grey magic. This was not like the magic she had in herself. It was boundless hunger, it only wanted to gorge and feed on the magic of others, ate until nothing was left.

None of the magic she had subdued worked on this. The tendrils of grey magic attacked hers again. Instinctively Cybelline thought of the shield magic she had seen long ago.

Light and Fire magic raced to form a protective shield around her. It did not matter, as the grey magic ate away at the shield, strengthening itself in the process. It attacked the shield and the ice at the same time.

Cybelline struggled against the grey magic that now encased the ice, it was slick and oily like, a thousand little pinchers sinking into the combined water, light, and fire magic and devouring it. It seemed to enjoy the taste.

Faster and faster it ate away at the ice ball, little cracks of forming as the grey magic put pressure on the shield the bird had placed around itself.

A few brave dwarves and fire fae came forward, armed with their own magic. But before they could do anything, the grey mattered had swallowed them whole.

Kima turned to Oqir, "What is that thing?"

"We don't know. All we know is that it has been devouring the sanity and form of the Fae trapped in the ice. In the thousands of years, we have thrown every magic we had, fire, light, water, earth. It has eaten every type." Oqir said his face a mask a despair.

Kima ordered her people, "Fall back! It'll eat you alive. She has more magic that all of us combined. If she can't save Leonmithas, none of us can."

Mighty rivers of magic that existed to sustain this land in the ring flowed through her as she felt the magic in the grey matter delight in devouring the Source. The gems had refined her power so much so it was easy for the grey matter to suck it out of her. Cybelline cursed.

Taking a deep breath, she studied the magic being taken from her. Light, fire was disappearing faster and faster. Cybelline felt a tightness in her chest as her control on her magic loosened. In the turmoil, the grey magic seemed to sink its claws in the earth, green, and water magic. Cybelline felt pain course throughout her bodied. She struggled to regain control.