Chapter 86

When the Dycathion soldiers surrounded the villas where Cybelline was kept, the Lady of Light was the first to hear of it. There was an urgent pounding at the door as her advisers begged her for counsel.

"Keep them at out." She commanded, "I will be there shortly."

She sighed and dragged her tired body into a sitting position. There were veins of grey that looked like thin porcelain cracks on her face. She looked worse than Jinon in the dungeons.

You spoil that boy. The shadow stood by the dawn light while the lady of light sat in the darkness. You should have done the ceremony already. You know you can not fight me, why do you even try.

"It gives me satisfaction." Kyria responded, "I am going to keep him safe for as long as I can."

You are a futile creature. The Shadow sneered. Fighting me with what little you have left.

I only agreed to let you do this if you promised me that no harm came to him during the ceremony. I'll destroy you and I both if you hurt him." Kyria said, her eyes boring into the shadow.

If he is obedient. The Shadow responded.

Kyria picked up the stone on around her neck, her eyes threatening.

The spirit sighed. He will be safe.

"I hope that my body will give out soon. I hope you and I can die." Kyria said, her head hung low.

The shadow only smiled its cruel smile before zipping back into her body.

The veins of grey disappeared and once more the beautiful lady of light returned to her full glory. She stood up, wiped the tears off her face, and quickly swept out of the room, a hint of shadow in her eyes.

---

Cybelline landed lightly in the room where Leonmithas sat rigidly. He looked up as the dove landed on the windowsill. It teetered and then tried to fly down, but it seemed to be too weak. Leonmithas lunged and grabbed it before it hit the floor.

Cybelline's body gradually grew out of the dove form, but Leonmithas saw her labored breath and sweat drenched hair. He frowned, "This is too dangerous. We have to leave now, we have to find a way to get the ring off you. It'll kill you."

Cybelline's eyes fluttered open, and Leonmithas had to admit, even in that moment, when they were in so much danger, the world seemed to stop as, like petals that unfurled to reveal their heart, so did she open her eyes. 

His heart seemed to stop, and then skip a beat. The elf had never experienced that feeling before. He tried to get his thoughts back in line as Cybelline sat up, her breath brushing against his cheek.

It took her a few minutes, but she finally looked up at him and smiled, "I will, I have a few things left to do first."

"What things?" Leonmithas demanded, "They can wait." He tried to grab her wrist and Cybelline moved out of his way with a smile.

"Stop. Don't smile like that." Leonmithas said, his voice low.

Cybelline raised an eyebrow, but Leonmithas continued, "You smile like that with everyone. Friends or foe, you give the same heartless smile. You smile when things are fine and you smile when things are not. No one escapes that smile. I see it, every time you visit the land in the ring. You smile brighter when you're in pain and right now you are in pain." He looked at his hands, "You came here not just for your imprisoned friend right? You came for him because you love him."

Leonmithas suddenly looked at her. He was a general and a fighter for his people, "We should be more important than him. If you die, then our people die. If you can't defeat the Lady of Light then we will die with you. Think carefully about this. You are getting weaker and weaker, if you die now..." Leonmithas sighed, "Please, let's go. Please don't choose him over us."