Chapter 88

Cybelline looked at the giant creature above her and blinked.

An enraged dragon whose body covered the sun stared down at her. Around her, the fear was palpable coming for humans and fae alike. The power of the dragon was immense.

Suddenly a voice as terrible as thunder sounded above. Everyone except for Cybelline covered their ears in pain.

"FREE! I AM FINALLY FREE!"The voice cried as the dragon spewed a mouthful of fire into the air. Cybelline looked at the massive figure in the sky as it covered the sun.

She was the only standing.

The dragon roared again, the sound sank into the earth and caused large cracks to appear. Some, who were too weak against the magical power fainted.

It roared and spew flame at the city, kill mages left and right. Only death and smoke remained.

Cybelline stood, her face a mask of ice,. 

"Where is killian?" Her voice was cold. Like ice from the heart of the northerlands, it was so cold it would never melt.

The dragon laughed, "Consumed! He had served his purpose. He is a part of me now and he is gone. You and all these mortals will follow. Humans and Fae, you thought you could kill me! But you forgot my eyes!"

Opening is giant maw, a grey fireball the size of the temple appeared in its mouth.

The people below grew pale and closed their eyes. This was certain death.

Cybelline felt the rush of power as the grey ball seemed to draw every power. She closed her eyes. In that second, she saw the tree in her mind's eye. It had grown once more into a grand thing, strong and silent within the land of the ring.

I need your power. She called to it. She knew that it could hear her.

Cybelline raised her arm and felt the power flow into every vein and every cell. She withstood the fire and of the power.

Just then, the dragon roared and threw the grey ball towards them.

In an instant, a golden shield bloomed out of Cybelline, like a rose, its petals covering each and every inch of the city until it was shielded in gold. If one looked closely enough they could see thin black veins connected the gold material like tiny silken chains.

The grey fireball of power crashed against the golden shield in the sky. The shield wavered but held.

The Dragon gave pause and stared down at the bloom beneath him. Then suddenly he roared in anger, "How?! This power isn't supposed to.."

Cybelline's arms were now covered in blood as the power she drew from the source threatened burst out of her earthly body.

The dragon laughed again, "As I expected, no mortal or fae could withstand that kind of power. When you're dead, I will consume your power and then the shadows will fall!"

The dragon opened its mouth to start attacking again.

Cybelline looked at the shield, "Hold." She commanded. She broke off her connection with the shield barrier and took a step back.

Looking down, she looked at Kyria who looked at the sky in disbelief. Her face was covered in the thin grey cracks that Cybelline had seen only once before, on the light fae who had given her the light stone.

Kyria's eyes stared in the sky, "He said...he said that once I helped him gain the power of the dragon eyes,  he would leave! He would go far away." Suddenly, she laughed and could not stop laughing, she laughed until blood dripped down her lips, "I am the fool. I have doomed everyone."