Numb

* trigger warning for minor character death and implied/referenced child abuse. Nothing graphic but just wanted to put this here in case. Stay safe 🖤.*

  They were on the verge of falling asleep, their head in Brendon's lap when their phone rang. Ryan sat up, mumbling complaints. The phone continued to ring as they sat back, glancing at the screen. It was an unknown number so they just declined it but the same number called again moments later. Ryan sighed and picked up.

  Immediately, the voice over the phone said, "I'm Nurse Walker from the San Francisco Hospital. To whom am I speaking to?"

"Uh, I'm Ryan Ross, er- George Ryan Ross III. What's going on?"

"Legally, I can't say specifics but George Ross II is currently in our care."

They froze at that, memories rushing back to them. Ryan took a deep breath and tried to focus.

  Beside them, Brendon felt Ryan stiffen. He reached for their free hand, entangling their fingers and gently squeezing, both reassuring and questioning Ryan. They squeezed back, trying to smile for Brendon but failing.

"I'll... I'll go see him and verify who I am but I-I can't go into the room, I can't see him again."

Brendon tensed when he heard that sentence, immediately knowing who Ryan was talking about. Again, he squeezed their hand, this time much more firm. They didn't respond, only said goodbye to whoever they were speaking to and shutting off their phone.

"Who was that?" Brendon murmured, stroking the curls on Ryan's head when they tucked themselves into his side.

"Nurse. Calling about my dad. He, uh, he's in pretty bad shape and they want me down there to discuss everything. I said I'll go there to sort out shit but I won't go near him." Their eyes refused to meet Brendon's, instead focusing on the guitar in the corner of the room. "You'll come with me, right? You and Dallon?"

  "Of course baby, of course. Is there a time you have to be there?"

  Ryan shook their head, "No, I just said tomorrow. It's late and visiting hours are over."

"Okay, wanna head upstairs and lay down for a while?" He asked, noticing how their eyelids were drooping.

Ryan simply nodded and allowed themself to be led up the stairs and tucked into bed. Brendon laid a peck on their forehead as he draped the blanket over them, running a hand through their hair. He watched as their eyes closed, breathing evening out. Brendon left the door open as he went downstairs, sitting back down on the couch. Grabbing his phone, Brendon sent a quick text to Dallon, letting him know that they need to talk about something when he came home.

About half an hour later, the doorknob turned and Dallon stepped in, clearly exhausted. He offered Brendon a lopsided smile and sat down next to him, throwing an arm over the younger's shoulders.

"What is it that we need to talk about?" He questioned.

Brendon sighed, "It's Ryan's dad." He felt Dallon tense like he and Ryan had earlier. "He's in the hospital and Ryan was wondering if we could go with them."

"Do they plan on talking to him or going near him?"

"No, I don't think so, they were adamant about not seeing him."

Dallon hummed, "Where's Ryan?"

"Asleep, we should join them."

The two trudged up the stairs, snuggling under the blankets and falling asleep. During the night, Ryan was plagued by nightmares and thrashed in their sleep, silent tears rolling down their face. They ended up waking at about two in the morning, sobbing quietly. Their partners just held them close, whispering soothing words.

  In the morning, they got up, showered and sat on the couch, staring at their blank phone screen with an equally blank expression. It honestly scared the shit out of Dallon and Brendon. Brendon began preparing breakfast while Dallon went over to comfort them.

He sat down next to them, gently asking, "Can I hug you?"

After a small nod, Dallon wrapped his arms around Ryan's shoulder, sighing as he felt them snuggle into him. He brushed a few strands of hair out of their face before asking, "You still want to go?"

  They nodded, taking a quick glance at Dallon. He kissed Ryan's forehead softly, "Go get ready, it's 9:00 right now so we'll leave in an hour and a half, okay?"

  They got up slowly and made their way up the stairs, tripping every so often. Dallon watched worriedly before heading towards the kitchen, joining Brendon there. He kissed the younger's cheek chastely and sat down at the dining room table, eyebrows furrowed in thought.

  Brendon noticed, "What's on your mind, baby?"

  "Ryan. I'm worried about them, I don't want them having a flashback or a panic attack when we get there..." Dallon trailed off.

  Brendon moved to plate the eggs and waffles he'd made, setting plates in front of Dallon, the empty seat where Ryan would sit and in front of himself. "I'll go grab them right now."

  Dallon nodded and picked up his knife and fork, placing a piece of waffle in his mouth. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, Ryan appeared, silently sitting down and taking a few bites of their food. Their mocha eyes were unfocused and had a slight far off look to them, purple bags that were clear as day underneath them. Dallon and Brendon kept casting worried looks in their direction as all three of them ate.

  For the duration of the thirty minute car ride to the hospital, Ryan sat in the back seat, staring almost mournfully out the window. The only time they snapped out of their thoughts was when they arrived in the parking lot. Blinking a few times, Ryan tried to focus and organize their scattered, crazed thoughts.

The three got out and Ryan approaches the front desk. The name on little plaque resting on the desk was too faded for them to read, a small gold bell residing next to it. Piles of paper, cups of pens and a pair of square glasses were laid out across the oak. They cleared their throat, not wanting to use the bell in order to avoid a possible conflict.

"Hi!" The man behind the desk chirped in an overly cheery, borderline fake voice. "Here to see someone, schedule an appointment or check yourself in?"

"I'm here to see George Ross?" Their own voice wavered a bit.

  "Name and relation to the patient, please?"

  "George Ryan Ross. He's my dad."

  The man typed something onto the keyboard and clicked on something before turning back to Ryan. "You're all set, he's in room one hundred twenty six,  on the third floor."

  Nervously, Ryan asked, "Would it be possible for me to sit outside the room, I'd uh, I'd rather not go in."

  "Yeah, perfectly fine."

  Thanking him, Ryan beckoned Brendon and Dallon forward, heading up the stairs. Their heart rate picked up and a light cold sweat broke out on their forehead as they neared the room. As they arrived, the dark gray numbers stared at them, as if daring them to go inside and face the man who tortured them and put them through living hell for years. Ryan simply stared for moments through the small window at the ivory curtains surrounding the hidden hospital bed.

  As if on cue, an alarm rang out through the hallway, doctors and nurses rushing towards the door. Their breath got caught in their throat when they saw the staff filing into their father's room. It only meant one thing. His vitals were crashing.

  Tears of stress and frustration welling up in their eyes, Ryan turned to the other two who were giving them sympathetic looks.

  "Let's just go home. Please."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Tbh, I didn't know if I wanted to post this because it is a bit personal but I decided to anyway. Also wanted to wait until most of the drama had blown over before posting this (not saying my stance, it's not the time or place to start arguments rn). I hope y'all are staying safe and keeping clean, I love y'all sm (no homo/hetero/romo tho, lmao). Hope you enjoyed it and lemme know what you think! 🖤