♡ 14 : passion dies ♡

(a/n: i've been updating this book a lot lately since it's completely prewritten, and i get excited whenever my favorite parts are coming up soon, so i hope you like my abundance of updates fjsjd)

*tw: possessive partner, panic attacks*

"Hey, Patton!"

"Hi, Roman! Have any cake ideas yet for your big day?" Patton asked. "It's coming so soon!"

"Yeah, we were thinking something elegant with some gold patterns and a variety of frosted flowers? A round white cake with five tiers."

"Alrighty. Any toppers for personalization? Lettering?"

Roman went to ask Abigail for a few seconds and returned with, "We'd love just a bride and groom topper."

"Adorable! I love your wedding theme, by the way. Once the big day gets closer, we'll start on it and keep you and your fiancée updated. Sam will be on the phone shortly to discuss prices, so please hold."

They became friends from doing high school theatre together and from Virgil, and Patton was ecstatic to make Roman's wedding cake from his own company.

When they finished discussing prices and shipping, Roman hung up and Abigail gestured for him to come over. "What's up, Abi?"

"You've been spending more time out than you did before," she said and played with a few strands of his hair with her delicate fingers.

"Oh, yes, I guess I have-"

She pouted and kissed him to cut off his sentence. "You must be so busy with work, babe. Take a day off, you deserve it."

Roman loosened up his tight muscles but as soon as he wasn't tense, Abigail reversed it.

"Or do you?"

"What?" Roman asked, only barely above a whisper.

"I've actually been wondering why you're working later now. Are you lying to me, Roman?"

The man's eyes widened. "No!"

"Look into my eyes and tell me it's just work."

Reluctantly, Roman did as she ordered. "It's just work. Nothing else is happening, Abi, you're the only one I love. I'm making a commitment to you."

Her cold stare was the embodiment of the sound of knives being sharpened.

If he broke eye contact, she would surely use it against him, but he didn't know how much longer she was going to look at him like that.

He was like a tiny puppy under her control.

She blinked and her eyes seemed to be five shades lighter, sparkling even. "Okay! Love you, baby."

God, the Decker family is just the definition of duality, aren't they?

"But..."

"Hm?" She went quiet.

Roman, what the fuck? You're asking for death right now, and it's too late to turn back.

Just tell her the truth.

The full truth.

No.

Yes.

No.

"What is it?" Her voice was like honey when she was Abigail, but like nails on a chalkboard when she was Abigail.

"Um..."

"You can trust me," she cooed. "Whatever it is, I love you."

"I-I've also been going out with friends like Patton and Logan. So it's mostly work, but I've also tried to spend more time with other people I care about."