Episode 11: Change My Fate

Haru doesn't get to finish speaking.

KRRCHK.

It's morning. Dano is in a lecture, sitting next to Dohwa. On the far right of the room, she can just make out Juda, sprawled carelessly like a slacker over her seat. (The writer makes her so rude and reckless. It must be annoying for her. Dano is sure Juda wouldn't be that rude of her own accord.)

The professor is droning on and on. Dano and Dohwa scrawl notes into their books. She doesn't even know what she's writing—is that even a proper language? Phrases and sentences, one after another, none of what she's writing ever once crossing her mind.

The door to the lecture hall slams open. Everyone looks up.

The professor sighs irritably, "Who goes there?"

"I-I'm sorry, professor," It's Saemi. Of course. "I was... I was just—"

Someone appears from behind her. A guy with frazzled brunette hair, wearing a pale pink sweater with tiny white strawberries patterned across it.

Introducing Oh Namju: the supporting protagonist.

"Sorry, professor. She's with me," he says.

The professor starts bickering with them. Dano keeps waiting for Haru to show up too, out of nowhere, just like Namju. Was Namju even in this course before this stage started?

Suddenly, Dano's mind wanders towards Gyeong... Gyeong.

Gyeong and his dark eyes and his biting words; the protectiveness in his stance. Poor Gyeong. Dano didn't realise he had such a short temper... did the writer write him that way on purpose? Will his short temper be revealed in the next stage?

The images of her strange dream—memories, whatever—flash before her eyes.

Gyeong grabbing Haru.

Haru punching Gyeong.

Two different scenes, both in which Baek Gyeong and Haru are at odds with each other. Is it from the last book? What did Juda say it was called—Secret. Were Haru and Gyeong enemies in Secret?

And how was Dano caught in the middle? How could she have witnessed such a thing, gained this memory?

She wishes this stage would end quickly. She has things to do and people to find.

•••

Unfortunately, Dano doesn't catch sight of Gyeong for the rest of the day. Between stages, Dohwa questions who she's looking for and she always says, "Baek Gyeong." But, he never remembers. And he asks again.

"I told you, I'm looking for Baek Gyeong!" Dano practically shouts, and Dohwa is thrown off-guard, having completely unexpected her raising her voice. "G*d, I wish you would find your ego already! Dohwa, you're my best friend, but you never remember what I say in the shadow."

"What are you talking about?" He asks. He scoffs a laugh, "Dano, calm down! You sound crazy, you know that?"

KRRCHK.

"Dano."

Mentally, Dano breaks into a relieved smile.

Baek Gyeong.

•••

Dano hardly pays any attention to what's happening in this stage. All she can read is the suddenly grave expression on Gyeong's face. He whispers something like, "Don't scare me like that." It sounds so endearing that Dano almost forgets the blazen anger on his face the night before.

But she doesn't. Because she can't.

"Let's go inside," Gyeong suggests. "Before you catch a cold."

WWHHS.

"Baek Gyeong!" Dano exclaims, as soon as she's able to breathe again. She grasps his arm to stop him from getting up. They're sitting on a bench somewhere outside in the late evening. This was their first evening-stage together.

"Yeah, Dano?" He asks, as relaxed as the stage they just lived. "What is it?"

"Do you... I mean... uhh..." she feels breathless and scatterbrained. She doesn't know what to ask. To be honest, she just wants to know how he's feeling; if he's okay. If he doesn't have his ego, he won't remember the night with Haru at all. But she won't be able to sleep if she doesn't make sure. "Are you okay?"

He cocks an eyebrow, "Okay? Yeah. I'm okay. Why do you ask?"

"Because... um..." she wracks her brain for the words. She squeezes her eyes shut and waits a moment. When her thoughts are more or less gathered, she opens her eyes again. "I just want to know. If you're okay. I just want you to be okay."

The corners of Gyeong's lips tug gently up. He scoffs.

"I'm okay, yes," he replies, his grin broadening. "Cute. Are you cold?"

"Me? Oh, no, I'm okay. Really."

"Okay. Well, let's go inside. Before you catch a cold."

Dano's heart sinks when she hears those same words. It's the same line he said on the stage they just finished. She stifles a heartbroken sigh. Every time he repeats a line, it only reminds her that he is written into this world by the writer. He has no thoughts or emotions that are not his own: he says what the writer tells him to, and thinks the thoughts the writer gives him.

Dano sighs, "I really hate the writer."

And then a memory hits her—

"I really hate the writer," she stands at a stone balcony on a wooden box, her forearms propped on the vast metal railing. Haru is at her side. "But
I won't let him write my story anymore! I'm going to change my fate, however long it takes. No matter what..."

Dano gasps, eyes wide.

"Dano," Gyeong is watching her, already standing up.

He extends a hand for her to take.

He says, "Come on, let's go inside. Before you catch a cold."