Episode 23: Won't Let Go

It's not just one memory.

It's a thousand of them.

Memories, hallucinations, dreams—whatever they are—come flooding into Dano's mind like a hurricane. She sees visions, visions of trees, visions of people and faces she recognises, but can't familiarise with. Saemi. Juda with wide, sweet eyes. Oh Namju. Dohwa! She sees her Dad from another lifetime, dressed in a penguin suit. All the people of her world are dolled up in high school uniforms: white collar shirts, ties, navy blue pleated skirts. Saemi laughs and hooks her arm through Dano's. Dohwa jokes with her on the school balcony.

And Gyeong.

Baek Gyeong... for the first time, Dano sees him in his entirety. She sees his coldness. His bitter words, his voice that is loud and rough—within and beyond the stage. And then, suddenly, he changes. He is gentler. But old habits die hard. She relives every moment, not one by one, but in excruciating chaos: she sees him yelling, grabbing her, then smiling at her, desperately handing her medicinal pills as her heart aches to pieces, she sees him banging tables, splashing pool water, sitting peacefully on a swing, his eyes glazed with thought. Baek Gyeong.

•••

Haru.

Haru?

Haru...

The nameless extra who responds to "Number 13." His strong arms, his clear, shining gaze. She follows him from the soccer field to the nurse's office. Their backs touch, and stars are born. Stars. He consumes her thoughts and almost every fragment of her mind.

"Eun Dano," he says. "I'm sorry I'm late."

"Dano-ah. Look at me... look at me. I'm here. I'm here now."

"I won't let go."