Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The Sobreval mansion is unlike any other mansion. It is erected in the middle of a highland, with no neighbors within the perimeter to disturb their privacy. The tall stone walls guarded the house. I could see the stretch of land that leads to their hacienda, but even it remains a mystery to most of the passerby. It is not my first time to come here, but it is the first time that I have come to admire this rough beauty.

A housekeeper opened the gates for us. From a distance, I could see the parked black car that belongs to Reuben, who stopped next to us earlier. Namula ulit ang mga pisngi ko nang maalala kung ano ang nangyari. Pinagbuksan ako ni Blake ng pinto nang maayos na niyang mai-parke ang sasakyan. As soon as I stepped out, I glanced consciously at my outfit.

"I should've changed into something more decent." I muttered, noting my tattered pants and baby pink blouse that I chose to wear because it's so hot today.

"You look fine," he said, assuring me before guiding me into the doorsteps. "It's not a formal occasion, really. Just a simple dinner with Dad and his sons. And the women of their lives." He said, which made me shiver.

Hawak ni Blake ang kamay ko nang pumasok kami sa mansion. He's unconsciously stroking my palm, as if to put me at ease. The gesture touched me as we went to the grand parlor.

Scanning the surroundings, I could tell that all men lived here. There was no touch of femininity in the room, only rough and manly colors. It isn't the coziest and it looks like a place where formal meetings are held due to its minimalistic designs.

"Blake!"

A baritone voice boomed in a distance and Cristophe Sobreval appeared, a bottle of wine in his hand. He was grinning from ear to ear. Mas lalong lumawak ang ngiti niya nang makita ako.

"I was just picking the best wine to serve for tonight's dinner." He said and tapped the bottle before turning to me. "Anna!"

I stepped out and hugged his father. His chest vibrated with laughter as he kissed the top of my head affectionately. I've always been closer to the Senior Sobreval, no matter how intimidating he could be at first glance. Maybe because he had always been there for me through my hardships and he's a close friend of my parents.

"Beautiful as always. I'm glad you're here."

"Thank you, Tito." I stepped back and smiled.

"Let's go to the dining hall. Everyone's waiting."

I eyed some paintings expertly hung on the wall while we were walking. Cristophe Sobreval has a fascination for paintings and as I've heard it, married an artist when he was young. That artist is the mother of these good-looking Sobrevals but I've never heard of her more than that.

The woman who was with Reuben earlier, a porcelain with fierce dark hair and soft eyes appeared carrying a huge pot filled with creamed chicken. She smiled and I swear with her softness, she could make flowers grow even in the roughest lands.

"Hello, Tito." She greeted in sotto voce. Inilapag niya ang hawak sa lamesa. She stood in an amazing height and standing next to her soon-to-be-husband, they look like a power couple modeling for GQ magazine. "Blake." She acknowledged.

"This is Savannah De la Rua." Blake said, and the woman smiled wider at me. "Anna, this is Cerise, Reuben's fiancée."

"Nice to meet you," I murmured.

"Nice to see you. I'm glad that Blake finally brought a girl in the house."

"Actually Cerise, she's a regular here. We're good friends with her family and Anna is the daughter I've never had." Tito Cristophe said, and my heart swelled in joy.