Chapter 13- Stay Right Here, Stay With Me

I looked up and there he was. In the blood and flesh stood the one and only: Mikey Way....I WISH. I looked up and saw Gerard's eyes staring back at me. He was holding onto my arms tightly and sighed, dropping his arms and breaking our eye contact while turning away and going down the second flight of stairs. Once he got to the bottom, he turned around and raised his eyebrows before beckoning me to follow him with his right hand.

I started walking down the stairs slowly while looking around the basement. It wasn't much of a basement, there was only one room that looked more like a bedroom. I'm guessing I was right; this is Gerard's room.

I looked down at the floor and saw piles of clothes, comic books, papers, beer cans, and food wrappers all over. Even though his room was a mess, it was cleanier than I expected. I looked up at the walls and saw that they were decorated all over with drawings. There were drawings ranging from pieces of crumpled notebook papers with superheroes on them to napkins and receipts with vampires on them. And trust me, they were GOOD.

There was a desk to the left right by the entrance to the room, which was also covered in papers and various coloring supplies, and a bunk bed in the far left, even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't share the room. There was a nightstand next to the beds that had a dull-lit lamp on it and was littered in food wrappers and random things like measuring cups, a water bottle with the label ripped off that was filled with dead flowers, a couple of books, an ankle wrap, a gatorade bottle, nerf bullets and mail. All the way to the right, pressed against the east wall facing the bunk beds, was a dresser with a medium-sized stereo and a bunch of CD's on top of it and the dresser drawers either half opened or on the floor. The room was pretty dark and it's only light sources were the lamp on the dresser and a tiny window on the west wall facing the dresser. In a nutshell, this room is creepy.

I looked back over the room before my eyes landed on the lower bunk and saw Gerard sitting there, looking up at me like a little kid would look at their parent. He patted the space next to him on the bed and I reluctantly sat down next to him. I turned to face Gerard and started to apologize.

"I'm really sorry about coming down here and jus-" I was cut off by Gerard sighing.

"It's okay, really," Gerard ran a hand through his long, tangled hair before continuing on, "I understand why you came down here. I know if that all happened while I was at someone's house I would want to know more, too." Gerard scooted back so that his back was pressed against the wall and his legs were stretched out. I slowly did the same thing and looked back at Gerard, who was now looking up at the bottom of the top bunk. There was a short silence before Gerard spoke again.

"Mikey and I used to get picked on...and after a while, I slowly realized I was the source of it. All of the other kids knew that I don't really talk to anyone but Mikey and stay at home alone all the time and decided I was some creepy loner kid. I realized this when I was about 13 and Mikey was 11 so I started feeling really guilty. After more and more teasing, Mikey started realizing, too, that it was mostly about me. He kept standing up for me, though, but he'd just get hurt in the end. As it went on, it kept getting worse and worse, and so finally, after a while..." Gerard breathed out and looked down at the bed while tracing the swirly pattern on the blanket underneath us, "I told him to just act like he didn't know me in public anymore. I explained it all to him and of course he wanted to keep being there for me, but after a week of convincing him he finally agreed. That was 2 years ago when I was 15. Mikey still comes by my locker between classes because he feels bad about this whole situation, and even at times he's walked with me places in public, but I always convince him to go back to ignoring me. I know he feels really bad about it, though. I overhear conversations with him and Frank, Ray, or Bob all of the time about how he wishes everyone would stop picking on me and he could just go back to being my brother in public, and a lot of those conversations end with Mikey crying..." Gerard turned his head away from my view but I saw a tear fall from his left eye.

I shifted around awkwardly before moving towards Gerard and slowly enveloping him in a hug. He tensed up a little before pulling me in and hugging me back tightly. 

I wasn't really mad at Mikey anymore, I know Mikey well enough to know that he'd go along with this, even if he doesn't want to. Mikey always tries to make everyone happy and does almost anything people will tell him to do, even if it is something like this, and especially if someone in his family or one of his friends tells him to.

Gerard squeezed me once before letting me go and leaning back against the wall. He looked back up at the top bunk and a small smile formed on his face as he looked back at me. His smile was so adorable and contagious, and I couldn't help but give him a small smile back.

"Thank you." Gerard whispered before giving me a brief hug.  He pulled away and looked into my eyes like a little kid again.

"Will you...will you stay here tonight? I don't talk to people a lot, and I just really li-" I grinned and nodded my head.

"Yes, I'll stay here." Gerard smiled and blushed before getting off the bed and climbing up onto the top bunk.

"Well, it looks like now I finally have a use for my top bunk." Gerard called from the top bunk and I laughed.

The rest of the night Gerard and I spent talking about movies, comic books, music, and whatever other random topics we came across before I heard soft snoring coming from the bunk above me. I pulled the blankets up over me tightly and fell asleep with a smile on my face.

~~I apologize for how super cheesy this one is, I started laughing at the end because of how sappy it is. & if the stuff on the nightstand sound stupid & not real, well then HA TO YOU BECAUSE THEY ARE REAL. I looked at my nightstand after thinking for 5 minutes about what to put on it & just started writing down what was on mine, so it probably doesn't even make sense but oh well.~~