Chapter Fifteen

Skylar's POV.

She began to scream and yell and I could tell she was resisting the shift to the best of her ability. I could only imagine the pain she was experiencing. Tears started to pour down my face. My best friend was dying in front of me—not even twenty feet from me. And I could do nothing. I couldn't even comfort her.

"Leya! You have to fight! I need you to fight for me! Please!" I cried out to Leya.

She fought against whatever they had done to her. She screamed and started to change as her body began to reform to a wolf and her clothes were torn. Golden fur sprouted all over her body and she soon had four feet and a tail.

Her head slowly rose and her eyes looked for mine. Once her eyes found me, I could see the pain and panic she was experiencing. I waited for something to happen. The waiting made me nervous and anxious.

The evil scientist looked excited. "Well, well, well this is some good improvement." He said and turned on his heel before walking out with the rest of the scientists following him.

"Leya? Are you ok?" I asked in a scared voice. She looked at me and I could tell she was shaking in fright. "Can you hear me?"

She nodded and swallowed. Y-yeah. I don't feel good. I don't think it's over. I think something else is going to happen. She spoke in a shaky voice through a mindlink.

What do you think is going to happen? Jake asked her curiously.

She shook her head. I have no idea. I just know it's not over.

I frowned. What do you mean by 'it'?

W-whatever is happening to me! Whatever they put in me! She yelled, obviously panicked. My wolf was trying to stop the shift too! She didn't understand what was happening. We were being forced to shift by whatever they gave me!

Her wolf couldn't even stop the shift? Any wolf should easily be able to stop a shift. Siqiniq muttered to me.

That's what I thought. I replied to my wolf. This is insane. What the hell was this scientist putting in us? What could possibly force us to shift like that?

Leya started to moan. I think I'm about to shift soon. She told Jake and I.

Confusion struck me and I looked at my friend to see her shaking badly. Shift back to your human form? Are you doing it on purpose? I asked quickly.

She looked at me with fear clouding her eyes and shook her head. No, the pain is coming back. I don't want to shift. It feels so wrong. I can't even control my own body! She stated with a panicked tone.

Suddenly, she roared in pain. She began to hit her head against the wall. Leya stop! You're hurting yourself!

She seemed to ignore me as she continued. It hurts! It hurts so bad! I can't do it, Sky. I'm not strong enough. I didn't quite grasp what she meant till her body relaxed and she shifted. Despite her not making noises, her body was twitching and shaking slightly.

"Leya?" I called out to her cautiously, but she didn't respond. "Leya? Leya!" I tried louder this time. Still she didn't respond. "Leya! Respond to me right now! I'm not kidding!" At this point I was shouting at her.

Her body jerked out of the blue and she sat up to look at me. "I-I'm sorry Sky. I just couldn't resist it. I'm not strong enough." She explained.

I exhaled with a breath I didn't know I was holding in. "Leya, don't be sorry. None of this is your fault. And I bet the strongest Alpha wouldn't have been able to stop whatever was happening either." I told her quickly. I don't want her to think I'm mad at her, I was just so worried.