Breakfast with Dad

I can't believe I just froze.

I just stood there watching Sasha hug him and laugh about the disappointing breakfast. Explaining her outrage with making breakfast but forgetting to cook it. While I'm pushing the cart past them into the hall shutting and locking the door quietly behind me. Like he was some criminal about to burst into my room and steal my meager possessions.
Seriously!! He owns everything. Yet, despite having tried with no success to actually have a meaningful conversation with me, he shows up. He keeps trying. Although I hate to admit it, he is actually doing it the right way. He never brings me extravagant gifts or trinkets. He's not trying to buy me things to soothe his guilt over not raising me. He's actually trying to spend time with me.

So why is it that I am standing behind the kitchen island slicing fruits, cheese, bread, practically anything I can think of to keep from joining Sasha and our father. I was never one to put off what needed to be done before. Stalling was not something I ever had the luxury of doing. The consequences were too painful to intentionally want to procrastinate.

I've watched them for the last twenty minutes talk about the most boring mundane topics from how perfect the weather is outside to Sasha changing her favorite color again this week to her dream of having a unicorn ranch. I was watched him closely. Taking in every detail of his expressions and body languages waiting to see if he ever got tired of her rambling, frustrated with her lack of focus or angry with her loud boisterous noises and flamboyant hand motions. How could this man who had enough money for twenty Nannies, who by all means could certainly afford to pawn off his child and give her as little attention as his impossibly busy schedule could spare, just sit there all morning with his 3 year old.

His attention never wavered. Sasha had his full attention for however long she wanted it. But anyone watching could just tell that this wasn't an act that he was putting on to win favors or put on a show that would make others think highly of him. This patient focus and rapport could only come from years of practice and routine. It was genuine. Constantin really loved his daughter. He loved her enough to give her an entire morning of his undivided focus and uninterrupted time.

Is that something we would've had if I had not been taken? Would we have found conversations to be easy and natural? Would I have been a nervous wreck with all of that attention focused on me. Would I have rebelled like a normal teenager or would I still be to sheltered?

A clearing throat frightenes me into dropping the knife I am currently holding, the slicing pain on my foot causing me to fall sending the French toast mix flying through the air.

"Sang!"

Looking up I can't help but laugh.

Constantin is standing above me soaking wet in the French toast mixture. Looking every bit the concerned parent I never thought I'd see.

"Are you hurt? What do you need me to do? Wait, Sang are you laughing?" The look of confusion on Constantine's face just added fuel to the fire. My laughter was uncontrollable. Echoing off the kitchen and reverberating around us as Sasha runs back into the kitchen.

"Papa! What happened to Sang?" She comes to an abrupt stop right next to me finally looking up at her dad. "Papa, why are you playing with Sang's food?"

Crouching down Constantin looks amused, "Well I wanted to help but kind of made a big mess. Do you think you could run and get some towels?"

We both watch as Sasha puts on her most serious expression and runs from the room.
I'm still giggling as he wraps his arms around me and lifts me to sit on the kitchen counter. Not sparing a glance my way he immediately checks my foot for any injuries before grabbing the rag from the sink and wrapping up my small cut.

"It's not too deep," He states nodding at my foot "as soon as Sasha gets back I'll have her grab the first aid kit. I'll get it cleaned and wrap it up." Without waiting for a response he immediately starts picking up the floor. Throwing the knife, spoon and bowls into the sink.

"I can do that." I offer about to jump from the counter.

"No!" He blurts freezing me mid hop before clearing his throat and swallowing loudly. "Please, Sang, let me. There's not much for me to do anymore." At my nod he continues cleaning up the best he can.

"You're mother loved cooking too." He shares peeking up at me from his kneeling position on the floor. "Well she loved cooking breakfast. She wasn't all that good at anything else really." Chuckling he shakes his head as if lost in thought. "But she could cook the most amazing breakfast."

He looks up meeting my eyes with the biggest grin on his face. "That's how I met her. I had just opened my restaurant and was looking for someone to help out in the kitchen when I couldn't be there. I had already held interviews and thought I had the position filled." Standing slowly he leans against the counter across from me and folds his arms across his chest before continuing, "I told her as much that morning she burst through my kitchen doors. She had managed to slip past the front and planned to demand that I give her the job. But as soon as we saw each other we both froze. I didn't even notice that she had moved before she was pushing me away from my station. She was so beautiful. A beautiful mess. Her hair was in such a mess on top of her head. Her jeans has holes and her sweater was two sizes too big. But she was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen."

He laughed at the memory before rubbing his hands down his face. "Her first words to me were 'You may be handsome but you suck at breakfast'. I was stunned into silence as I watched her put out the next several orders quicker than I ever did. When she had cleared my current orders she turned to me and said 'I'm Rosalyn your new breakfast chef'. She had such a confidence I had never seen in a woman. She was...I wished you had met her Sang."

His expression so serious now my chest tightens at his grief and regret. "I know what has happened has been Hell and that nothing any of us do will erase what you have been through but the love I had for your mother, the love I have for you...it's never went away. It never will. I was a better man for meeting your mother. She changed me and made me into the man I am today. I haven't been able to be a father to you. I don't even know how to do this teenage thing but I'm willing to try if you'll let me. I know you need space to find yourself and be whoever you discover."

He moves to stand in front of me. "I'm so glad you're going to start school but even though you are leaving I still want to be there for you. Whatever you need, whenever you need me I will always be waiting for you. You call me I'm there no matter what."

I look down at my shaking hands laying against my thighs trying so hard to push the tears away. I look up as one tear escapes and slides slowly down my cheek. "Ok." I whisper as he reaches out to catch my tear. He freezes meeting my eyes. He's stunned for just a second. Then he releases a huge breath and his arms are around me hugging me to his chest as his sobs shake us both.

I don't even realize my tears have began falling or that my arms have wrapped around him too.

I just close my eyes and lean in.

5/7/20
So thank you for all the support. I hope this chapter meets your expectations. I felt like Sang needed this moment to connect to her Dad and ultimately learn more about her mom before the tries to discover who she wants to be.
AND Since it's my birthday. I wanted to gift you all a present from me for all of your support. You all are so great. I couldn't do this without you.
I have a poll going right now if you'd like to vote. It's an announcement on my page right now. Idk how to put it on here while on my phone but whatevs!
Vote for Sang's future.
Love ya!
💚Bookworm7216💚