Why Wait?

Now that Max and Marie know what I want they aren't holding back at all. It's only been four days and already they've picked a school, fought over the funds, the living situation as well as the protection detail. 

Hand meet face.

Seriously...sitting here listening to all of my family (both sides) has been a bit intense. They've argued over everything. 

Twenty minutes ago they finally agreed to Covington Preparatory Academy over Anderson Heights Academy. Both were the most prestigious private schools within the area but still a distance away. It actually came down to the PRTS kids. They go to CPA and once they found out the choices, they refused to have a cousin go anywhere but to their school.

Honestly, I would've been happy with a public school. The only time I remember going to school was kindergarten. But when a teacher asked some very personal questions at a Parent-Teacher conference I was pulled out and homeschooled the next day when we moved across the state.

But trying to finish up all their preparations and safety measures is like trying to convince a tiger to eat a salad instead of a gazelle.

School? Check.

Curriculum? Check.

Thorough background checks on the entire staff? Double check.

Reviewing and revising every school protocol? Check.

Assigning security? Error.

Assigned dormitory? Error.

Creating safety protocols for every possible risk? Error.

Eventually my internal computer is going to start a self destruct sequence.

I've not even met the headmaster yet; but even I know he must be cringing with the news of my enrollment. He's probably marked me as a problem child before I've even set foot on the campus.

Ugh what are the other kids thinking?! They don't want to be associated with me. Well the older ones anyways but that's not exactly a shock. Just a very unfortunate fact. Rome and Katiya are not my biggest fans and they'd be on the same campus as me even if we aren't in the same year. Kye and Ivan will be on a different campus. Simon, Emilia and Sasha haven't started school yet but  have private tutors at home.

Suddenly the room is too quiet and I look up from my book to see that everyone is looking at me expectantly. Raising my eyebrows I look towards Max, Marie and Deda (Grandfather) Roman.

"Did you have something to add? You sighed very loudly.." Marie asked trying not to laugh.

Stunned I just sit quietly for a few seconds. Do I have anything I want to add?  Well here goes nothing..."I'm just not sure why we keep going over the same issues, I guess, it doesn't seem very effective."

Creaking sounds from Max as he leans a little too far back in his chair. "That's the point. None of us can come to a compromise. Therefore, we are left with the same unresolved details."

"Then why not allow me the final say?" I meet his glare head on entirely serious.

"Sang." Deeply sighing Max squeezes the bridge of his nose between his fingers. What?! Like that is such a ridiculous request?! This is my life. Why shouldn't I have a say?

"Yes?" I reply when he doesn't continue and when everyone else in the room suddenly seems to find the wallpaper interesting.

"I love you. You know that right?" He looks up at me with an eyebrow raised and only continues when I nod my head in confirmation. "You are the most intelligent young lady under 18 that I've ever met. Which is saying something considering my job. Regardless of how smart and self aware you are. You've not lived in the world alone. You've not seen the things we have. We know everything that someone would do to you just to get back at us. We know how they think. We just want to make sure that we leave no opening for you to be used like that." The not again though not said was resting heavily in the air.

Standing I nod my head in his direction. While walking towards the door I notice that everyone has turned their gazes back to me but they each have varying degrees of pity to them. I don't want their pity or regret so I have to say something. "I understand all to well how inexperienced I am when it comes to life. But you will never have to remind me what dangers are out there." Ignoring the flinch on my families faces I continue the best I can. "You want to protect me out of love and loyalty. I want to do the same for all of you. But just like I have no choice in matters concerning your life decisions I find it very hypocritical that you would try to control mine. The most important part of being a family is loving and supporting each other despite the hell life throws at us." Stopping with my hand on the door I turn to look at them one last time before leaving. "I will be starting CPA Monday with the others. We may not agree on everything in this new family partnership but we do agree that it's my time to live. So, please... let me."