Tempting Fate

Stupid! How could you be so stupid? Going with strangers? Really? So you need a baby sitter and someone to hold your fucking hand now? No! Stop yelling at me. What the hell is wrong with you we are the same fucking person!!! My faults are yours too, idiot!

Great, I'm beginning to think I lost my sanity. Not only am I talking to my self in my mind but the two little voices are yelling and fighting with each other. The pounding ache in the back of my head has only gotten worse the longer Vasiliev and his friend drive.

It's been so long since I've actually been inside a car so I'm fighting the urge to watch everything that passes by and keeping an eye on my kidnappers. They had long ago passed the state line, several state lines in fact. It's been hours. Not once have they made any move to interact with me at all.

They'll never find us! Russians never leave a trace when they get rid of their victims. We're as good as dead!! Shut the hell up!!! We are not dying!!! I didn't not just survive one hell to be thrown into another one and die. Just be quiet so I can actually think of an escape plan.

My eyes are heavy, weighted down with exhaustion and pain. The burning sensation has turned into a constant radiating sharp stabbing pain. My mind is cloudy and even thinking is becoming difficult. My whole body is just pushing for peace and relief. But I'm too scared to fall unconscious with these two kidnapping strangers.

The looks Vasiliev and his friend keep shooting me tell me that my attempts to hold in the moans, groans and panted breaths have failed. They've not spoken a word in all this time so when Vasiliev speaks I jerk in shock only hurting myself more.  "Sang." He says commanding my attention, "you need to lay down and relax." When I continue to ignore his advice and continue sitting upright he sighs heavily before continuing. "If you'd only lay down it would release the pressure on the wounds you've sustained. Your body is too tense." His voice becomes firmer the longer he's ignored until he resorts to bellowing. "Sang! If you bust your stitches I'll have to fix them." Nothing could've gained my attention faster.

"Touch me and you'll bleed." My voice is quiet and pained but I know my threat landed a slight hit when both sets of eyes meet my gaze and widen in surprise. Vasiliev looks indifferent like threats are just part of his job but at least he isn't crudely smirking at me like his friend. Ugh! If I could get my hands on him. I'd love to set him straight. Smug bastard.

"Lay down." Vasiliev commands.

Instead of complying I make my body relax back into the seat instead of sitting rigidly upright. As soon as my back meets the seat a low groan escapes. My eyes automatically close with the flood of relief as my pain releases it's tight grip on me. My body goes limp against the seat. My head begins to lean back and it takes so much effort to open my eyes.

When they open they meet Vasiliev's dark brown stare. His eyes are a mixture of sadness and regret but that's not what causes my sudden intake of breath. Trying to hide behind his stare I see anger and a promise of retribution. Is he angry at me? What did I do to him?

Refusing to dwell on things I cannot change I allow my eyes to close. When my eyes are jerked open a while later they quickly take in the huge gate that we've pulled up to. Nothing happens for a few seconds then the gate opens letting us in. A huge house is revealed past the neatly organized and silly shaped trees. A giggle escapes as I look at all the faces the large bushy trees are made into. Sergio and his friend are smiling at my reaction. I can't figure them out. Sergio seems so caring and gentle with me yet looks like a huge thug bent on revenge. Sorry to have to break it to them but they'll have to take a number. Isn't it just our luck? Finding freedom from one hellhole only to dive head first in another!! UGH, Fate is such a bitch.

The tension and panic that consumed my body earlier doesn't return. My eyes calmly take in the gigantic mansion before me. The pillars surrounding the entrance are as big and tall as the oak trees in the forest behind my old house. The house is four stories tall and as wide as three houses in my neighborhood put together. Who needs this big a space? Who is so important they need to live here? Great, my voices are back but at least they've stopped arguing.

Doors slamming startle me out of my thoughts. Sergio opens my door as his friend is walking around the back of the vehicle. "Come, Sang. You'll be safe here." Sergio leaves his hand outstretched waiting for me to decide to use his help.

"Bylo by legche, yesli by my prosto nesli yeye. Zhestkiy veter mog sdut' yeye." It'd be easier if we just carried her in. A stiff wind could blow her down. His friend states coldly as he walks around the back of the vehicle to stop at my door completely ignoring me.

I frown at him jumping out of the seat and onto the ground without help. Startled, he takes a quick step back as I point my finger at him and reply carelessly and angry; "Polozhite palets na menya, i vy poteryayete yego bystreye, chem smozhete morgnut'." Lay a finger on me and you'll lose it quicker than you can blink.

Deep laughter fills the air. "Sang! You're so full of surprises!! How delightful." My eyes easily pick out the older Russian standing by the front door of the house flanked by two huge bodyguards. Flicking my eyes to the two men at my side. Their eyes are downcast with respect and they're standing at full attention.

I do neither. I don't know this man so he doesn't get to demand my respect. I have also faced worse nightmares than he could dream up for me. He walks with a confidence and ease belied by his age. His posture resonates power and strength. I can easily understand how he commands respect and deference from others.

I cross my arms over my chest and hope to manage a look of passive defiance. I didn't want to seem challenging but I refuse to give someone a respect they have yet to earn. Especially ones who have kidnaped me.

Sergio earned my acquiescence by not further harming me and his gentleness. Despite being distant he has shown me respect. His friend has earned nothing with his rude comments and disrespectful attitude and had we not been interrupted I could've finally taken him down a peg...or two.

I look at the Old man standing before me. Taking pride in my own strength I meet his gaze firmly without flinching. He looks so serious as he watches me and laughing again when I manage to hold steady under his own gaze. I quirk my eyebrow at his humor. What does he find so amusing about me? It's almost like he's taking pride or credit for my strength.

It only takes a second to undo all my posturing as my whole body unconsciously flinches when he lifts his hand towards me. One minute I was questioning his humor, the next my arms are jerking up instantly knocking his hands away and blocking any intended hit to my face.

A steady warm hand against my back brings me back from the pain of my past as I slowly realize he didn't touch me. I peek up to find myself turned towards Sergio whose arm is wrapped around me. He looks frustrated and angry again but I still sense that it isn't intended for me. I turn my head to find the Old man with the same look except I don't know his intentions.

His expression is so full of anger and hatred, in that moment it causes me to step back closer to Sergio. What are you doing?! He works for the Old Man, he's not going to protect you!!! Stand up straight and don't show weakness. It's too late. The Old man already noticed my reaction and swiftly looks to Sergio above me.

"Bring her inside." He commands coldly as he turns and disappears inside at an unbelievable speed barking orders to the others in quick Russian.

Here we go. Stay Strong.