I smiled warmly at her, totally unsure what to answer mainly because she was now looking at me as if she wanted to tell me so many things but she was refraining from doing so. And it scared me.

"You saved my life, Alex.. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you."

"I-.. I was just doing my job, Sky."

"Right.", she rolled her eyes at me, pulling a funny face that I decided to ignore.

"So, Jess texted me earlier..", I paused, more than eager to change the subject. "She-"

"She wanted to swing by today but she was swamped with work so she's gonna come visit tomorrow, I know.", she cut me off, laughing at my puzzled look. "She texted me."

"Oh.. I didn't know you two were still in touch.. Not that it bothers me, it's just-"

"We weren't. Before today, I haven't heard from her since, you know.."

I quietly nodded, silence abruptly wrapping around us as I looked away from her, the pain from so many years ago coming back like a boomerang. And even though I was trying to put up a strong front, I knew she could see right through it.

"Alex, for what is worth, I'm so sorry for what happened. And I'm not saying it just because you saved my life, I-"

"Does she know?", I questioned, my jaw clenching out of pure instinct. "That it was me who saved you?"

"No.. but-"

"No buts.", I shook my head, bringing my eyes back to hers and looking at her dead serious. "I want it to keep it that way. I don't want her to ever know."

"Alex..", she huffed, the seriousness of her gaze mirroring mine. "Don't be ridiculous, she has to know."

"No, she doesn't.", I bit back, raising a hand to stop her when she opened her mouth to speak again. "Look, I don't even know how I feel about the possibility of running into her yet. You know better than me that if you tell her, that's the first thing that's gonna happen. So I'm asking you, please, to keep it to yourself and mind your own business."

"Hey, why do you have to be so snippy?"

"Why do you have to be so snoopy?", I questioned with a teasing smirk, stifling a laugh at the exasperated sigh she let out.

But we both ended up laughing after a short amount of time staring at each other, a laugh that was short lived because of the pain her stitches were causing her.

"Fine.", she gritted, shaking her head at me. "I don't agree with you, but I won't tell her if that's really what you want."

"Thank you."

"Just let me say one thing: she really-"

"Whatever it is, I don't wanna hear it."

"Jesus, I'm surrounded by stubborn idiots.", she grunted, crossing her arms and releasing a resigned huff.

Not wanting any details about her statement, I awkwardly patted her leg and stood from my seat, slowly approaching the door to leave.

"Now get some rest okay? I'll be back in the next couple of days.", I stated, my hand already on the door knob when her voice caused me to turn around and face her once again.

"Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you..", she whispered, flashing me the most genuine smile that so awfully reminded me of her sister.

I was so not ready to see her.

A while later, I was pulling up in front of my house, Jess' figure sitting on my porch steps barely noticeable under the dim light. I sighed, already knowing why she was waiting for me. I mean, I was grateful for her checking up on me, but I seriously wasn't in the mood to talk and 'explore my feelings' and all that bullshit. But I knew I wasn't getting away from her so easily.