14.

It was 2.15 pm on a Friday when my lazy ass woke up. I was so drained when I got home from work last night that I fell asleep as soon as I hit the couch. I couldn't be bothered to even go upstairs to my room, let alone charge my phone and setting the alarm.

So yeah, I missed school today and I couldn't care less. After all, Christmas break was around the corner and my grades were surprisingly fine, so who gives a shit, right?

I stood up from my couch, immediately feeling the aching of my back due to the uncomfortably position I fell asleep in.

"Ugh, Jess was right, this couch sucks.", I groaned to myself as I rubbed my eyes and made my way to the kitchen.

While making a fresh pot of coffee, I rolled myself a joint and plugged my phone to charge. By the time it came back to life, I was sitting at the kitchen island, sipping coffee, smoking and checking my phone. I had several messages, a few from Jess but mainly from Ashley. Smirking, I decided to check on my best friend first.

Jess 1:03am
'Hey babe, I'm sleeping at Tyler's tonight but we're coming over for breakfast before school. Don't work too much. Love you x'

Jess 9:15am
'Don't get mad at me when you read this. We tried to wake you but you weren't having any of it. You kind of also tried to punch me at some point, bitch.'

Jess 9:17am
'Just kidding on the bitch part. But you did try to punch me.'

I laughed to myself after almost chocking on my coffee. I can be really hard to wake up when I'm exhausted, and yeah, I clearly don't appreciate when someone's trying to get in between me and my sleep.

Alex 2.30pm
'Sorry Jess, I honestly don't remember any of it. Use that as a reminder not to do that again though ;) I just woke up btw, I literally fell into a coma.'

I typed in a quick reply, fully aware that she was at work and that she won't be able to read it, let alone text me back. Sighing, I closed her chat and hovered over Ashley's. As I was about to open it though, my phone went off, an international number that I immediately recognized flashing on the screen. Excited out of my mind, I answered.

"Nonna!", I almost shouted down the line. "I meant to call you, how are you doing?!"

"Hey sweetie!", my grandma greeted me from the other end. "Yeah yeah, you always say that!"

"Yeah I know.. I'm sorry, it's just-", I mumbled shyly before being cut short.

"It's okay, Alex. Don't worry."

I sighed, still felling a little ashamed of myself for never finding 5 minutes of my time to call her every once in a while.

"So, how are you guys doing?", she asked in a sweet voice.

"We're doing good, Nonna. We miss you.."

"Yeah, I miss you too..", she replied. "In fact, about that.. I-"

"Please tell me you're coming for Christmas!! Please please please.", I begged her, jumping out of my seat and wishing for a positive reply.

"I am, I am!", she chuckled, clearly making fun of my excitement. "That is, if it's okay with you of course-"

"YES!", I shouted as every fiber of my being were exploding in happiness.

"Are you trying to make me death?!", she teased me before bursting into a fit of laughter.

"Sorry Nonna, I'm just really excited.", I smiled sheepishly to myself.

"I can hear that sweetie.", she giggled. "So, is it okay if I come on the 23rd?"