17.

JESS'S POV

While Matt and Chase were playing video games upstairs, Gabi was watching tv in the living room and Alex and Ashley were cleaning up the kitchen. We were eagerly waiting for midnight in order to exchange gifts, and I honestly couldn't wait for Alex to open my present.

Since every one else was minding their own business, I was sitting in the back porch smoking half a joint that I found laying around in Alex's bedroom and freezing my ass off. Thinking back to the crazy way this day started, I couldn't help but notice that I found myself studying my best friend and my teacher several times.

It was weird, seeing Alex so at ease with her. It's something I've never witnessed before. The way they were around each other, the way they would steal glances every now and then, the way they seized unnecessary physical contact, the way they subtly held hands under the dining table..

Yeah, I saw that, obviously.

But what really surprised me was the whole 'we're a work in progress' thingy. I honestly didn't know what Miss Stevens was doing to my best friend exactly, but for her to not even try and deny the fact that they were dating was a huge fucking deal. I knew it, Gabi knew it and, apparently, Miss Stevens knew too. It wasn't a secret that Alex never got even remotely close to someone she was sleeping with, so imagine my shock every time she reminds me that they haven't slept together yet.

Well, a part from the night they met.

I was even more shocked when I realized that she doesn't even seem bothered by it. I mean, Alex could be honestly described as a sex addict and nobody would bat an eye. But with Miss Stevens.. it's just different. She's different when she's around. She looks happy, and this scares the living shit out of me because Miss Stevens is our teacher after all, and I can't shrug the feeling that she'll break her heart. For the life of me, I just can't.

"Oh, sorry..", my thoughts were interrupted by said teacher stepping out of the house and on the porch. "I didn't know you were here, I'll leav-"

"It's okay.", I reassured her, smiling softly. "You can join me if you want. I could use the company."

She seemed taken by surprise at my invitation, lingering on the door. Her eyes then fell on the joint in my hand, causing her to scrunch up her nose.

"I.. I don't really smoke.", she scratched the back of her neck, shifting on her feet.

"Well..", I trailed off, flashing her a teasing smile. "Grab us a beer and I promise I won't hold it against you."

She smiled and nodded, disappearing back inside just to reappear with two beers in her hands. She handed me one, then took a seat next to me, silently sipping on her beer, her mind lost in her thoughts.

"I don't really know you, but I can tell something's bugging you..", I found myself blurting out as I let out a handful of smoke through my lips.

"Meh, sorry.", Miss Stevens flashed me an apologetic smile, nervously running a hand through her hair. "I guess I'm not the best company you could ask for."

"You're thinking about her mom, aren't you?", I mumbled as I looked down and started to absentmindedly tear off the beer label from my bottle.

"Yeah..", she sighed, resting her back against the chair, her gaze locking with mine. "What's.. what's the deal with her?"

"..Miss Ste- er, Ashley.. It's not-"

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you that. It's not your place to tell nor it's mine to ask.", she interrupted me, anticipating my own words.