I don't know how long we sit like that. Too long really... more than enough time for Max and Sergi to go downstairs for the last boxes and return. But I don't care. I just want to enjoy this moment. I want to keep this moment with Gabe forever.

I'm about to be alone.
For the first time, I'm about to be free to make my own choices and to live. 

I'm so afraid that this has all been just a dream and I'm going to wake up and lose everything I've ever wanted.

When Gabe moves, I look up to see him looking at me with such a strange expression. I didn't even know I whispered that out loud. It's just been a reoccurring thought since I woke up in the hospital. Gabe's eyes are full of something. It's not pity, it could be sorrow, but it looks different this time. He almost looks surprised and happy but no those don't quite fit either.

"Sang, beautiful, there is absolutely nothing in this world or the next that could keep us from you. And I do mean all of us. North, Silas, and Nathan would kill for you, protect you with their last breath. Kota and Sean would take care of you for the rest of your life. Victor and Mr. B would buy you the world if you'd let them. Luke and I would spend our entire lives working to keep that smile on your face forever. That's not even mentioning your brother or sister and then all of your Dads family." He moves bending his knee into the bed so that he can face me. "You are the most precious gift any of us have ever been given and we will never lose you." He gently touches my hair and swipes it behind my ear following the path down my cheek to touch his thumb to my lips. He pulls my bottom lip down slightly making me gasp and lick my lips. He groans and closes his eyes only to open them just as fast to look me straight in the eyes.

He begins leaning forward slightly  still looking at me so warmly my heart starts fluttering and my stomach starts tingling. My breath catches in my throat as he gets just centimeters away from my face.

"Sang?"

"Mmm" I make a sound that's unintelligible.

"You're mine. Okay?"

I blink confused. I don't know what he means by that. Is he asking to be my boyfriend? Do I want that right now? We'd be so far from each other.

Then before I know it the entire right side of my face is wet and he moves to the left side running his tongue over my cheek.

Squealing I fall backwards into the bed to get away from him. Giggling uncontrollably by his outrageously childish behavior.

"What was that Gabe?!" I try to exclaim with mock horror between fits of giggles.

" I just wanted to claim you and hear you laugh one more time." He helps me sit back up. "I love your laugh Sang and I couldn't bear to spend our last minutes sad or angry about the past. So come on let me finish working miracles on your room. F^ck knows we need one."

MAX POV

I manage to wait until we get down to the two SUVs before I can't hold back my suspicions any longer.

"This wasn't a coincidence, was it?"
I'm met with silence as Sergio continues to walk digging the key fob out of his pocket, pressing unlock and popping the trunk.

"The roommate didn't just decide to transfer on her own, did she?" A grunt and shrug is the only response I get. "A scholarship foundation doesn't wait that long to contact the recipient.  She couldn't still be waiting even if she applied late because even the students past the late deadline would've already been notified before Sang decided she wanted to have a normal experience at a school."

He pauses slightly and I know I have his attention. "We don't know where my mother is or who she has helping her. Marie and I have been working over time to do everything we can just to find a trace of her. We're terrified that she'll find Sang; get to her before we can. I won't let my baby sister suffer like that again. Not if I can help it. So tell me the truth."

"You don't have to worry about any of that. We take care of our own. Sang is one of us now. We won't let her down again. We won't be caught off guard or unaware again. The price was to high the first time. Sang will not be the cost of yet another mistaken moment of peace."

"Just promise me one thing."

"For Sang, anything."

"Protect her. When she doesn't know she needs it and even when she thinks she can handle it. There's so much she doesn't know; that she doesn't even know how difficult this is going to be for her. She has no experience, no knowledge or social skills to understand anything these kids talk about or do for fun. She's too innocent."

"Consider me her shadow. That's how safe I'll make sure she is."

"So tell me what you know about these girls that are dorming with her."