"And that's the problem!" Percy cried, causing Leo to jump in surprise. "We aren't choosing to side with the gods because we think they're worthy of being on their thrones! We're doing it because we know they're the better option."

"That's why a lot of kids left Kronos's army to side with the gods," Chris pointed out.

"Right, and that shouldn't be our only reason!" Percy turned to the immortals, all grimacing at the direction of this conversation. "This is why I wanted you guys to pay attention to your kids. You're our parents and we want to love you, but this,"

He gestured to the book. "And only claiming is not going to work, especially after we're done reading here."

The gods silently took in his words. Some were already trying to interact with the children they had on Olympus, but hearing this made the parents realize they needed to go beyond that.

...Ephialtes and Otis made his decision easier by attacking. Together, the giants picked up a fake mountain as big as Percy's New York apartment and hurled it at the demigods.

Poseidon's face paled.

Thalia inhaled sharply.

Percy silently hoped that the mountain came from Ephialtes's special effects machine and was not a stage prop from Mr. B.

Percy and Jason bolted. They dove together into the nearest trench and the mountain shattered above them, spraying them with plaster shrapnel. It wasn't deadly, but it stung like crazy.

The readers grimaced.

"I guess the trenches were useful after all," Percy sighed.

The crowd jeered and shouted for blood. "Fight! Fight!"

Percy scowled.

"Shut up!" Thalia snapped.

"I'll take Otis again?" Jason called over the noise. "Or do you want him this time?"

"After what happened with the spear? Maybe you should work together," Thalia suggested.

"They should." Annabeth agreed, clutching her necklace. The last time they went one-on-one it didn't work out.

..."We attack together," [Percy] said. "Otis first, because he's weaker. Take him out quickly and move to Ephialtes. Bronze and gold together—maybe that'll keep them from re-forming a little longer."

Jason smiled dryly, like he'd just found out he would die in an embarrassing way.

Thalia winced

"Way to be optimistic Jay," Leo said sarcastically, drumming two pencils on his knee caps.

"Com'on, don't be like that, we're a good team." Percy said. Just don't think about the jousting tournament in Kansas.

"Why not?" he agreed. "But Ephialtes isn't going to stand there and wait while we kill his brother. Unless—"

"Good wind today," Percy offered. "And there're some water pipes running under the arena."

Jason understood immediately. He laughed, and Percy felt a spark of friendship. This guy thought the same way he did about a lot of things.

Thalia's expression softened at that, she grinned.

"Not sure if that's a good thing," the huntress teased.

"I guess we'll find out," Percy joked along with her.

They charged out of the trench. As Percy suspected, the twins had lifted another plaster mountain and were waiting for a clear shot.