Annabeth II

"Annabeth II," Chris read.

A sea of hastily assembled demigods parted for Annabeth as she walked through the forum.

Annabeth felt her heart racing. She could barely sit still as she listened in anticipation.

Finally, she can find out how Percy's been doing at the Roman Camp (or Camp Jupiter as it's apparently called).

Percy had been trying to put the brave face on for Annabeth and his father, but his nervousness was starting to peek through the cracks. It had been a relief to hear that Hazel was just a friend and not a girlfriend (he wouldn't be able forgive himself if he had been dating someone at the Roman Camp), but it didn't solve all of his problems. How much did he remember? Is he even the same person? What would he do now that he was praetor? How did he even become praetor?

He tried not to let these questions distract him as he focused on the story.

...No one attacked.

"So far so good." Hermes muttered.

Entire families had gathered to see the newcomers. 

The demigods' eyes widened.

"Wait. Demigod families exist?" Percy said slowly.

The fact that the children looked so shocked made their parents' hearts clench.

Clicking his pen, Leo frowned. "Um... Yeah? Demigods can have kids, that's how Frank became a descendent of Neptune." Did nobody ever tell them this...?

"I've never heard of something like this happening." Annabeth said. Leo blinked in surprise. "I always thought being a child of demigod would be extremely rare, because we usually don't live very long." she muttered that last part, but everyone heard it.

A few people gave her looks of understanding.

The gods shifted uncomfortably.

"...Oh." Leo said lamely with a grimace.

Connor cleared his throat and tried to change the conversation.

"What would they even be called? I mean, they're technically demigods, but they're a second generation. So they'd be, what, semigods?" he asked.

"Legacies." Hermes corrected.

...At Camp Half-Blood, most demigods were teens. If they survived long enough to graduate from high school, they either stayed on as counselors or left to start lives as best they could in the mortal world.

Here, it was an entire multigenerational community.

"Living in a city like that would make life so much easier." Katie said wistfully.

"I still can't believe nobody thought to make a city for the Greeks." Mitchell said. "Yeah I get that it wouldn't work now, because we're a small group, but there was a lot of us before. Why couldn't we just have made a city then?"

"Maybe because they wanted to live with the mortals." Percy said. 

"A lot good that did them..." the son of Aphrodite grumbled.

At the far end of the crowd, Annabeth spotted Tyson the Cyclops and Percy's hellhound, Mrs. O'Leary—who had been the first scouting party from Camp Half-Blood to reach Camp Jupiter.

Poseidon smiled.

Percy and Annabeth perked up at that.

"If Tyson's there, he must've told me about who I was." he smiled, feeling a weight lifted off his shoulders.