Percy XVI

"Percy XVI," Hermes read.

THE TUNNEL RAN ALONG THE FLOOR of a gymnasium-sized tank. Except for water and some cheap decorations, it seemed majestically empty.

The readers frowned.

"That's weird..." Percy said cautiously. "No giant octopus? Three-headed sea turtle? Just an empty tank. You'd think he'd have something in here to show off."

"Maybe it's hiding." Annabeth suggested, gripping her necklace.

Percy guessed there were about fifty thousand gallons of water over their heads. If the tunnel were to shatter for some reason...

Then nothing would happen because I can breath under water. Percy told himself firmly.

But his heart was pounding. He remembered sinking into the cold Alaskan bog—black mud
covering his eyes, mouth, and nose.

Percy let out an annoyed sigh.

Annabeth reached out and took his hand. He wanted to remind her that he wasn't afraid of suffocation like his future self, but stopped himself short.

Instead, Percy squeezed her hand back. 

Phorcys stopped in the middle of the tunnel and spread his arms proudly. "Beautiful exhibit, isn't it?"

"It's kinda empty." Leo pointed out. He knocked over his castle and took apart the remaining sturdy pieces.

"What exactly are they supposed to be looking at?" Connor wondered with a frown.

...In one corner of the tank, snuggled in a forest of fake kelp, was a life-sized plastic gingerbread cottage with bubbles coming out of the chimney. In the opposite corner, a plastic sculpture of a guy in an old-fashioned diving suit knelt beside a treasure chest, which popped open every few seconds, spewed bubbles, and closed again. Littered across the white sand floor were glass marbles the size of bowling balls, and a strange assortment of weapons like tridents and spearguns. Outside the tank's display wall was an amphitheater with seating for several hundred.

"Oookaay, besides the weapons, this is starting to sound less like an aquarium and more like a goldfish bowl." Travis said as he listened to the description. "What's supposed to be in there? Is it in the house? Just hurry up and show us the monster already."

"I know right? We all know you want to." Connor said impatiently, feeling a sense of unease. 

The demigods could barely sit still as Hermes continued reading.

"What do you keep in here?" Frank asked. "Giant killer goldfish?"

"I'd pay good money to see that." Hermes admitted.

[Phorcys]... "Oh, that would be good! But, no, Frank Zhang, descendant of Poseidon. Everyone stiffened. This tank is not for goldfish."

Poseidon's face paled in realization. 

"Get out!" the god said urgently. "Run!" 

At descendant of Poseidon, Frank flinched. He stepped back, gripping his backpack like a mace he was prepared to swing.

Despite the situation, Ares snorted. "What happened to the bow and arrows?"

"Not now Ares!" Poseidon snapped. He felt his heart race, his clammy hand tightened its grip on the trident.

A sense of dread trickled down Percy's throat like cough syrup. Unfortunately, it was a feeling he was used to.

The god of the sea grimaced.