Percy XXXII

"Percy XXXII," Grover read.

Still feeling drained, the readers had to strain focus on the new chapter.

We should've waited until after the last one before having a break. Percy thought with a sigh. But then again, the reason why they had that break in the first place was because of his other demigod dream.

Three demigod dreams with the last two being back-to-back nightmares... Percy inwardly groaned. If this wasn't used for saving the future, he would've tossed the book off Mount. Olympus by now.

UNDER DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES, wandering through Rome with Annabeth would have been pretty awesome. They held hands as they navigated the winding streets... The day warmed up quickly. Once they got away from the car exhaust on the main roads, the air smelled of baking bread and freshly cut flowers.

They aimed for the Colosseum because that was an easy landmark, but getting there proved harder than Percy anticipated... They found beautiful fountains and huge monuments by accident.

Despite the reason behind their walk, the Aphrodite girls swooned at the description.

How romantic!  A semi-date! the goddess of love thought with a happy sigh, a small smile on her face.

How wonderful, Nico thought dryly. Annabeth gets to enjoy a scenic walk with Percy before her quest, meanwhile I'm stuck staring at the walls of a jar as I slowly suffocate.

Crossing his arms, Nico tried to push back his growing jealousy. As much as he hated it, Annabeth deserved a little bit of happiness before she goes to fight Arachne.

I shouldn't even be jealous, it's not normal. he angrily told himself. Nico gritted his teeth and played with his skull ring.

But if it's not normal... Why did no one react when Apollo called Narcissus 'hot'? a voice in his head said. Nico felt the floating sensation of hope again, before he stifled it.

What can they say? Apollo's a god. Anyone who disagreed with him would have been smote.

Nico hunched in on himself, trying not to think about the subject any further.

Percy listened to the story with a bitter taste in his mouth. This was going to be the last time him and Annabeth were going to be together before she goes on her quest. He had known this was going to happen for a while, and Annabeth kept reminding him that she had to do this alone, but it still came as a shock when it started to sink in that this was happening. After this thinly veiled attempt in normalcy, Annabeth was going to go on a mission that she might not come back from.

Stomach twisting itself in knots, Percy swallowed and tried to calm himself down. A part of him desperately wanted to try talking Annabeth out of it again. This is happening in the future! We have time to come up with a better plan! But even as he thought it, he knew it was hopeless. Once Annabeth had set her mind that she was going, there was no turning back. The best he could do is hope that Annabeth comes back in one piece.

Seeing her boyfriend's face pale, Annabeth worriedly placed a hand on his arm. "Are you ok?"

Percy shakily nodded his head. "Yeah," he croaked. "Fine."

He hoped he looked better than he sounded.

Knowing better, Annabeth's frown deepened but she didn't press him further. 

Annabeth rubbed his arm in what she hoped was a comforting manner.

Annabeth commented on the architecture, Grover smiled as he read this line.