Percy XLVII

"Percy XLVII," Chris read.

Hades and Poseidon sinisterly smiled, ready for the giants' demise.

Despite needing Dionysus's help, the demigods were still wary.

"Why did he decide to show up now?" Percy wondered to Annabeth. "Couldn't he have appeared before we started fighting?

The daughter of Athena looked just as perplexed with the god's actions. "Maybe Mr. B wanted a dramatic entrance?"

Percy frowned. "If that's what he was going for, it worked."

PERCY HAD NEVER THOUGHT OF MR. D as a calming influence, but suddenly everything got quiet. The machines ground to a halt. The wild animals stopped growling.

Dionysus's splitting headache eased up a bit but the god still rubbed his temples.

"Even the animals are shocked," Grover noted.

"Can you blame them?" Will asked. "We had a chapter with a tribute and prayers asking Mr. D for help and I still can't believe he came."

"It kinda makes sense when you think about it. I mean it took... what? A couple days before he finally answered?" Connor mused. "That's his usual reaction time."

Said god glared at the boy, silently making a mental note to punish him later. Washing dishes and cleaning the stables were always a hassle, maybe the harpies could use a break.

"Be respectful," Hera scolded the teens. While she couldn't help but agree on their remarks toward Dionysus, she refused to let demigods address an immortal in such a way. "He is here to help while the rest of us are incapacitated, the least you could do is thank him for that."

But he hasn't done anything yet. Percy wanted to point out. 

The two leopards paced over—still licking their lips from Piper's pot roast—and butted their heads affectionately against the god's legs...

Dionysus's expression softened.

"Really, Ephialtes," he chided. "Killing demigods is one thing. But using leopards for your spectacle? That's over the line."

The teens rolled their eyes.

"It's distasteful." the god of wine added, cracking open a Diet Coke.

"Feeling the love," Travis muttered sarcastically.

The giant made a squeaking sound. "This—this is impossible. D-D—"

"It's Bacchus, actually, my old friend," said the god.

Dionysus winced, spilling some of his beverage.

"And of course it's possible. Someone told me there was a party going on."

"So, could we've just sent you a party invitation and you still would've came?" Leo frowned, twirling his marker.

Pressing the cold soda can to his forehead, Dionysus snorted.

"I don't go to just any party," he sniffed. The gods and Percy saw right through the lie. "You would need to do more than send me an address scrawled on a piece of paper to get me to come."

Like have Pac-Man, the son of Poseidon thought dryly.

"Like give you six million dollars worth of bribery," Travis pouted, still thinking about the abandoned treasure.

He looked the same as he had in Kansas, but Percy still couldn't get over the differences between Bacchus and his old not-so-much-of-a-friend Mr. D.