Annabeth XIX

** Important Note: For those who don't know, there has been changes made in the last chapter with how Leo gets the ingredients for the Physician's Cure (this change has Leo using the Valdezinator). If you don't know what I'm talking about, I recommend you check to make sure you're up to speed with the plot. 

Thank you all for being so patient with me writing this chapter. April was the final month of my last semester and everything has been so hectic I barely had time to write.  

-----------------

"Annabeth XIX," Hades read.

The other readers sat on the edge of their seats.

Percy held his breath.

Athena's posture was rigid.

THEY DIDN'T MAKE IT TO THE SHIP.

Percy cursed under his breath.

"Of course we didn't." Annabeth groaned, shoulders slumping. She blew a lock of hair out of her face.

"Now what?" Katie grimaced. "You can't fight them, they'll think you're starting a war."

"They already think we're at war." Annabeth reminded with a sigh. "But you're right, we shouldn't fight them. Maybe we can cause a distraction or find someplace to hide.."

"I wouldn't be too hopeful." Demeter said with a grimace similar to her daughter's.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

Apollo squeezed his eyes shut and crossed his fingers. Please don't let it be Octavain. Please don't let it be Octavain. Please don't let it be Octavain.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Damnit! Apollo cursed. He put his head in his hands and groaned.

The demigods scowled.

"As if this couldn't get any worse." Annabeth said, crossing her arms.

"You can outsmart him." Percy suggested. "Maybe Piper can charmspeak him to leave?"

"That wouldn't be hard." Clarisse snorted.

...Annabeth cursed under her breath. By himself, the skinny augur wouldn't have bothered her, but the two other guys looked like seasoned warriors—a lot bigger and stronger than Annabeth wanted to deal with, especially since Piper and she were armed only with daggers.

"Run?" Chris suggested.

"If they did that where would they go? They'd just end up getting chased." Mitchell said.

"The best thing we can do is wait for help or come up with a plan." Annabeth added.

Leo tied his shoelace.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. 

"Why couldn't it be easy?" Annabeth groaned.

"You must think you're so smart..." Apollo grumbled, rolling his eyes. He wished he could be playing his new Valdezinator right now. 

Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Yeah right." Annabeth scowled, glaring at the book.