CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT; INDEPENDENCE DAY

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT; INDEPENDENCE DAY — Also known as The Bite, Part 1

• • •

It had taken me awhile to fully calm down, to get back to a sense of normality — or as close as I could get to it. El had calmed down too as the night fell and had managed to tell us fully what had happened. We'd regrouped in Hoppers living room with clear — ish — minds, devising a plan on just how we were going to defeat the Mind Flayer and the fleet.

But I couldn't help but think of how we were supposed to be at Mayor Kline's fair, celebrating Independence Day like everyone else. We were all supposed to be there, watching the fireworks and going on the rides, but instead we were scattered. None of us knew where the other was.

Instead, I watched the fireworks from out of Jim's window, hearing the marching band playing distantly while our group discussion took place.

Maybe I should've stayed in Indianapolis for Fourth and came home tomorrow?

"He said he was building something." El said. I turned away from watching the brightly coloured explosions in the sky and walked over towards the sofa, my cold hand resting against my burning chest, "That it was all for me."

"Building something.. is he talking about the flayed?" Max asked.

"He must be." Nancy responded.

"So, he's building an army." Lucas said while pacing, "Just like we thought."

"I don't think he's building an army, I think he's already got it." I said.

Will nodded, "I agree with Jen."

"Yeah." Mike too agreed with me, "But he's not building this army to spread."

"He's building it to stop Eleven." Will said.

"Last year, El closed the gate on him." Mike told us, "I have a feeling that really pissed him off."

"Like, royally." Lucas nodded.

"Of course it did." I said, "Clearly the Mind Flayer is threatened by El, so that's what we've got to keep in mind. The only reason he's build this army is because he knows he can't beat her alone."

"Yes!" Mike snapped his fingers towards me like a teacher would when they were excited you got a question correct, "The Mind Flayer knows she's the only thing that can stop him...but if she's out of the way—"

"—Game over." Lucas responded.

"We're not talking like that." I told them with my arms crossed, "We're being positive."