CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN; THE SOURCE

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN; THE SOURCE — Also known as 'E Pluribus Unum' Part 2

• • •

I watched with baited breath as El breathed rapidly, gasping every so often. The static from the untuned television echoed around the cabin. I fisted the back of the sofa in anticipation, leaning on it as Max, Lucas and Will occupied it in front of me.

No one dared to make a noise as El sat with the blindfold around her eyes. No one dared breathe too loudly, or cough, move — anything. We were too consumed in anticipation, waiting for her to come back to us.

She started gasping even more, panting, and she pulled the blindfold off her eyes quickly, desperate for breath.

"What's he doing now?" Max dared to ask.

Slowly she turned around, "Nothing." El replied quietly, "He's in his room, sitting."

"What?" I asked in confusion, my brows narrowing. Max turned to me and I shook my head at her, "Surely not?"

"That's what I saw." El told us, standing up, "Just.. sitting there."

"And that's not normal, right?" Nancy asked as I heard the tap running. I turned my head to see El getting herself a drink.

"Billy sitting in his room on the Forth of July?" Max asked rhetorically.

"Do you even know Billy Hargrove?" I asked Nancy.

"No. That's not normal." Max answered.

"He wants us to find him." Will said.

"Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of." Nancy said.

"He's got to be stupid if he thinks we'll go to him." I said, "Surely."

Nancy nodded in agreement with me, "If we go to Billy, then the rest of the flayed know where we are."

"It's a trap, I agree. We'll be ambushed." Mike said.

"We won't be surprised." Lucas said, "We'll know they they're coming and we'll kick their flayed butts."

"You mean El will kick their butts?" Max corrected.

I shook my head, "No." I told him, "We don't know how many people are flayed. The Mind Flayer could've grown in size since last night."

"Jen is right." Mike agreed, "It's too risky."

"Yeah and unnecessary." Nancy added, "Killing the flayed won't stop the Mind Flayer. We have to find out where it's spreading from.. we have to find the source."