CHAPTER NINE; ATTACK ON THE OLD JUNKYARD

CHAPTER NINE; ATTACK ON THE OLD JUNKYARD — Also known as; The Spy, part 3

• • •

By the time we'd boarded up the bus the sun had just about set. We had to work quickly and as much as I struggled with the cold air and my tightening chest I kept quiet, pushing on.

I was fighting not to fall asleep as I sat on the dirty floor of the abandoned school but, Steve sat opposite me and the three pre-teens sat at the back of the bus.

Lucas got to his feet silent with his binoculars in his hand, "I'm gonna go and check for anything." He announced.

Dustin nodded and as he climbed up the ladder we'd inserted to get to the top of the bus — or our lookout point — I looked to my cousin, "How do we even know Dart is gonna find the trail? Nevermind follow it all the way here."

"He will." Dustin replied confidently as Max turned to him and I looked away with a sigh, resting my head against the wall.

I looked to Steve, gently nudging his foot with my own. He lifted his eyes to look to me and I gave him a small smile, "You still ignoring me?"

He returned his gaze to the lighter he held in his hand as he flicked it open and closed in front of him, igniting the flame each time, "I dunno, are you still pissed with me?"

I furrowed my brows while pouting in confusion, "I'm not pissed at you."

"Aren't you?" He scoffed sarcastically, "I can tell you are, even the way you snapped earlier."

My eyes narrowed, "What on the train line?" He didn't respond and I scooted closer to his legs, "Steve I'm not pissed with you."

"Was it something I said?" He snapped, looking at me, "Did I say something for you to start ignoring me? Or was it because I accidentally fell asleep in your bed last night?"

I raged and I snapped, "You know what?" I asked rhetorically, "It was something you said, you big asshole."

With that I got up and I trudged up the stairs to Lucas. The younger boy looked over at me wordlessly as I sat on the top of the bus, crossing my legs underneath me and looking out over the dark yard with a huff.

"Don't worry about it, she's just got a stick up her butt." I heard Dustin say.

I kept my lips shut, forcing myself not to snap back. Here I was, getting emotional over Steve saying something that was literally the truth. I was getting too caught up in my own feelings — the returning crush I had on him from the seventh grade — that I was upsetting myself. It wasn't even his fault, he didn't ask for me to like him.

I prayed the silly crush I had on him disappeared when I left but it remained. Even after a boyfriend and countless meaningless crushes later my feelings for Steve still remained. It was like they were deep routed in me, ready to haunt me at any time.