CHAPTER THIRTY SIX; NO SUCH THING AS GOOD LUCK

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX; NO SUCH THING AS GOOD LUCK — Also known as; Vecna's Curse

• • •

It was weird waking up in my old bed but it was a nice type of weird. If I was to be honest, I'd missed this bed .. I'd missed this room. I missed the memories I'd created in it. I missed the person I was when I used to stay in it. I hardly knew that girl anymore, sure she had demons but they were nothing compared to what I carried on my shoulders nowadays. That girl thought life was tough back then but she tried and she coped .. she coped well. She had no idea what else she had to face.

When I looked at my alarm clock I realised it wasn't my alarm that had woke me up. I still had another half hour before that was set to go off. I wasn't an early riser either, if my alarm wasn't set I would sleep until the mid afternoon. It was all slightly confusing to me until I heard dull banging against my wall. Dustin and I had rooms next to one another and he was never quiet, he was constantly pottering around in his room and I figured that was what had woken me up, him doing whatever it was that he was doing.

That, I hadn't missed.

With a groan, I pulled my sheets back and swung my legs out of bed. A yawn slipped from my lips while I stretched and after a moment I made the move to stand up, stuffing my feet into my slippers by my bed. I turned around to make my bed up, grabbing the thin duvet but I stopped with a frown when I saw a reasonably sized blood stain on my pillow. It seemed dry but I was unsure of where it'd come from.

I shuffled over to my dresser and looked into my mirror, my frown deepening when dry blood sat around my left nostril and down my lip. This wasn't the first time I'd woke up and found I'd had a nose bleed through the night. It was odd that it never woke me up but the doctors had said they were stress induced.

I cleaned my face before stripping the pillow case and walking over to my bedroom door. When I opened it, the smell of bacon and scrambled eggs hit me straight in the face — along with the sound of both the TV and the washing machine. When I walked into the open plan room I saw my aunt Claudia standing behind the ironing board, a fresh washing pile lying on the countertop a mile high. She smiled at me when she heard me shuffling in, her face bright and beaming, "Good morning, Jenny." She said, unaware of how much the nickname had affected me. I tried not to react but I couldn't stop my stomach from twisting.

"Morning." I pressed a smile.

"Breakfast is in the microwave." She said to me, "What have you got in your hand?"

I looked down to my pillow case fleetingly before walking over to the washing machine and dropping it inside while saying, "Pillow case .. had a nose bleed last night."