CHAPTER TWELVE; JEN THE GENIUS

CHAPTER TWELVE; JEN THE GENIUS — Also known as; The Mind Flayer, part 3

• • •

The most of us had returned back to the darkness of Joyce's house. Only the kitchen light was glowing, illuminating the house but none of us bothered to turn any more on. All we felt like doing was sitting in a dark room and wish that this wasn't happening.

But we needed to be cautious and being cautious meant we had to take precautions we wouldn't think of taking. Will could not find out where he was, it was entirely out of the question. We whispered to each other when we spoke, treaded around the house quietly and closed no doors. We did everything we could to not make a loud enough noise so that he would hear us.

Because if he did... well, we were as good as dead.

Hopper, Joyce, Jonathan and Mike were the ones who had stayed in the shed with Will. No one else needed to be there really, those four were more than enough and we worried having anyone else in such a small space might give Will an idea of where he was. Just because we'd covered every surface to make it look different didn't mean the real Will couldn't not recognise it.

So that left the rest of us sat mostly in silence, scattered around Joyce's house.

Steve was swinging his bat back and forth in the living room and as much as I wanted to talk to him I feared now wasn't the time. Although the more I thought the more I realised our situation wasn't going to get any better so there never would be a time.

Dustin was pacing back and forth in the kitchen silently, his hand sort of scratching his face as he distracted himself from his nerves. Max and Lucas were sat in the hallway to the bedrooms and bathroom together, each sitting back against opposing walls as they chatted quietly.

That left Nancy and in the corner on the opposite end of the kitchen to Dustin, leaning against the walls that connected to each other in silence.

We were yet to speak a word to each other and I swallowed while glancing at her, "Hey. I'm sorry for snapping at you at the lab earlier." I said to her, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear, "It's been a really hard day and I just lost it."

She looked up to me and was silent for a few seconds before she shook her head, "No. No, it's fine. I understand."

She's being nice, oh god she's being nice. My brain was screaming at me to tell her that I'd kissed her ex-boyfriend. I, me, had kissed my friends ex. She's going to hate me.

I remembered back at the lab I'd accused her and Jonathan of skipping town and the thought suddenly came back to me, "Sorry for accusing you of skipping town as well."