CHAPTER FOURTEEN; KEEP YOUR HEAD ON

CHAPTER FOURTEEN; KEEP YOUR HEAD ON — Also known as; The Gate, part 2

• • •

Dustin pushed my back quickly, edging me forwards towards the front door with wide eyes as everyone looked at each other, "Jen get out there and distract him."

I rounded back on him immediately and stepped to the side to stop him pushing me, "What?" I fired, "No!"

"Why not?" Dustin countered, "He likes you."

I narrowed my eyes as him, "He doesn't like me he just wants to shag me you idiot."

"Ew." Lucas inputted from the window next to Max.

Steve stepped up to my side, a stern look on his face. He looked to my cousin and shook his head with a hand on his hip, "No way."

"No way, what?" Lucas asked.

"There no way is Jen going out there to distract him." He told the pre-teens before looking down to me with a sincere expression.

I threw my hands into the air gratefully as I looked to Steve, "Thank you."

"I'll go." Was his response.

My eyes dropped out of my head.

Not literally, of course.

"You're mad." I said to him, "What's your excuse for being here, huh?"

Steve shrugged and turned fully to me this time, "Better me than you, Jen." He told me, "I'll make sure he leaves, you make sure he doesn't see them."

I swallowed, "Steve—"

"—No buts." He said, "It'll be fine."

Without another word to me or the pre-teens Steve walked out of the house, closing the door behind him. He left the five of us relatively speechless. I was left behind shocked that he'd actually just gone out there.

But I turned to them, "Stay away from the windows." I told them before walking over to the door and stepping out into the crisp air.

Billy's brows arched high in surprise and a twisted laugh emitted from him. I saw the cigarette in his hands and the urge I was repressing to smoke was doubled.

"Henderson?" He asked, "Oh, this just gets better and better."

Steve glanced sideways at me, glaring, as I stood next to him but I kept my eyes on Billy.

"Yeah it's her, don't cream your pants." Steve answered.

"What are you doing here, amigo?" He asked and pulled his jacket off before flinging it in his car. Steve stepped off the porch and walked across the gravel to Billy while I stayed put.

"I could ask you the same thing." Was Steve's response, "Amigo."

The enthusiasm behind Steve's words was non-existent. Neither of us had the time nor effort to deal with Billy.