CHAPTER SEVEN; HOOKED ON A FEELIN'

CHAPTER SEVEN; HOOKED ON A FEELIN' — Also known as; 'The Spy' Part 1

• • •

"Happy birthday Jenny!" My dad cheered, kissing my cheek as he pointed the camera to me, "My teenager, all grown up!"

"Make a wish sweetheart!" My mom said from next to my father, his arm wrapped around her waist lovingly.

Around us cardboard boxes littered the place as the half decorated room was dimly lit.

I grinned up at my parents before looking to the small chocolate cake in front of me, thirteen lit candles squeezed on. I glanced back to the cake, closing my eyes and dreaming of my wish. Once I was done I opened my eyes to the candles again and took a deep breath before blowing them all out, leaving the room in complete darkness.

I opened my eyes again to the same darkness and I shivered in the cold air. It had dropped six degrees easily since the sun had set and I folded my arms around my body tighter.

Everything had been so simple then and reminiscing made my teary eyed. My parents were still in a loving relationship, my dad wasn't working late at the office and my mom wasn't going to yoga with her friends. We were spending our time together as a family. They were the times where they wouldn't shout at each other into the night while I sat in my bedroom with my headphones on listening to my mixtape on full blast.

Four years later I was lying on my aunts storm cellar, staring up at the clear sky with my headphones on and a baseball bat laid next to me.

"We watch the shows, we watch the stars on video for hours and hours.." I tapped my gloved hand against my stomach as I sang quietly, "..So stick around 'cause we might miss you. When we grow tired of all this visual. You've had your time, you had the power, you've yet to have your finest hour. Radio.. all we hear is radio ga ga.."

At the bottom of my peripheral vision I saw bright head lights and sat up slowly, my body screaming in the cold. The chorus of Radio Ga Ga played in my ears and I moved one headphone off my ear and left the other one on. I grabbed the baseball bat and stood up, my knees stiff as I saw the lights belonged to a car. They turned off and I squinted in the dark to see a flashlight, "Dustin?!" I shouted. When I got no reply I snapped, "Henderson is that you or not?"

The flashlight drew nearer and shined right up into my eyes. I shielded myself from the light with my arm, "Jennifer what're you doing out here?" Dustin called.

"Lower the light dickweeb!" I called back, pausing the mix and pushing my headphones round my neck, "What took you so long?"

When he reached me I saw the person with him and my eyes widened, "Steve?"

"Jennifer?" He asked confused, furrowing his brows before looking to Dustin incredulously, "You told her?!"

Dustin spluttered, "She saw it! I couldn't lie to her."