CHAPTER FORTY FOUR; THE UPSIDE DOWN

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR; THE UPSIDE DOWN — Also known as; The Dive, Part 2.

• • •

• • •

Dustin enjoyed dragging us out on a wild goose chase. He did it often, his mind set on crazy ideas that fuelled his fantasies for adventure and I strongly believed it all came from his love for Dungeons and Dragons. In some weird aspect, we were living in a game of Dungeons and Dragons and we had been for well over three years now. We named everything out of the Upside Down after creatures they had mythically battled in their games... even the Upside Down was named from D&D. If there was a real name for it we didn't know it...even Vecna. He had been named after the latest campaign Eddie had come up with, the same one they'd finished the night Chrissy was killed.

It was ironic really, for as much as the majority of us claimed to hate the game we were literally living inside of it.

Maybe we were the characters and there was a group of socially awkward, nerdy, teenagers sat in one of their moms basement playing us?

No, that was too unrealistic.

Dustin dragged us through the woods until darkness had swept over us like a blanket and even then, he continued to march on with a flashlight in his hand.

He was hard to keep up with. The more excited he grew, the faster he became on his feet. It was hard for me, who was stuck in the back, to carry on. I felt like something was following me constantly and every so often I'd turn to find nothing there only to realise I'd lost my friends who had been jogging to keep up with my cousin.

The thought of losing them in these woods was petrifying...especially knowing Vecna was creeping up on me but the notion of feeling like someone was watching you from behind was spine-chilling. It was almost a lose-lose.

"Jen! Come on." Robin's voice echoed through the trees. I turned my head once again and saw her standing some feet away from me with wide eyes. I hadn't even realised I'd stopped again. In fact, I couldn't remember stopping. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, palpating harshly off my chest wall while my pulse drummed heavily in my ear. The palms of my hands had turned cold and sweaty but I didn't remember.

I had been walking with them...

Robin walked over to me and she grabbed my wrist and tugged me forward with a sigh, dragging me after our friends who had continued to follow Dustin while saying, "What's going on with you? You've been acting super weird today."

"N-nothing." I hurried to say, my voice shaking somewhat as I turned my head and searched within the dark trees again, "I just feel like somebody's watching me."

"Ah, well, that's not creepy at all." She responded in her usual chirpy tone though the underlay of disturbance popped through.

"I know." I mumbled after a minute.