CHAPTER TWENTY; BILLY'S GOT A SCREW LOOSE

CHAPTER TWENTY; BILLY'S GOT A SCREW LOOSE — Also known as; 'The case of the missing lifeguard', Part 1

• • •

I heard the shrill whistles and calls of my friends as I approached them at the community pool. The four of them were laid out across the sun loungers, a large red brolly shading their face while the sun hammered down on their bare and tanned legs. Each of them had their bathing suit on, all varying bright and eccentric colours that put my plain blue costume to shame.

Hawkins community pool was absolutely thriving. There were kids playing all sorts of games in the pool, people diving off the board, parents and teenagers relaxing on the sun loungers with ice boxes filled with food and drinks next to them. Aside from Starcourt mall, this was the most popular place to be right now.

"Jenny Henderson. The woman the, myth, the legend." Kaylee whistled lowly as I stopped in front of them, placing my beach bag to the floor and putting my hands on my hips.

"Never mind legend, goddess!" Katie gushed, sitting forwards and pushing her sun glasses back into her short blonde hair, "Look at that tan!"

"Why thank you, Katie." I responded with a sly grin.

"Sit down and tell us everything." Abigail said enthusiastically, patting the spare sun lounger next to her.

"There's not much to tell." I told them, dumping my bag on the bottom of the bed and getting my towel out. I covered the red plastic with it and sat down, crossing my leg over the other, "Besides, I can't stay for long, I've a date to get ready for."

The girls 'oooo'd' in chorus as Kaylee arched a brow, "With Mr. Harrington I assume?"

"Who ever else would it be?" I asked her, "Meeting him at the mall and he's going to take me out."

"Where?" Katie questioned eagerly.

I shrugged, "He didn't say."

"So he's surprising you?" Nicole asked amused, putting her magazines down on over her stomach, "I've never known Steve Harrington to be so romantic."

No one had never known Steve Harrington to be anything but the supposed douche that he was in junior year or the person who strayed away from the jock clique in senior year. As much as it sometimes infuriated me that my friends had only one opinion of Steve I constantly had to remind myself that he was nothing like what they thought him to be.

When Steve and I first started dating the whispers in the hallways were loud enough for the middle schoolers over the road to hear. No one thought we'd last. They thought Steve was using me as a rebound after his untimely break up with Nancy Wheeler. Some thought he had been cheating on her with me and that's why they separated. Even my friends weren't convinced when I told them we were dating, in fact Nicole's exact words were 'Don't trust Harrington, he has the tendency to break hearts.'