CHAPTER THIRTEEN; 011

CHAPTER THIRTEEN; 011 — Also known as; The Gate, Part 1

• • •

There were no words that could explain how confused I was in this moment of time.

Everything that I'd experienced over the past two or three days had been a whirlwind, a continuous rollercoaster I hadn't yet had the chance to get off of.

When I came back to Hawkins, a little over a week ago, I never thought I'd be stood here in Joyce Byers house holding a rifle next to Chief Jim Hopper and Steve Harrington — my childhood crush — trying to protect myself and my younger cousin from creatures that belonged to an alternative universe. It was entirely crazy and it seemed crazy was normalised amongst this unlikely group of people I stood with.

Mike Wheeler stepped forwards in disbelief, water in his eyes as he walked towards the girl who'd just magically unlocked the door from outside.

"Eleven." He muttered, wrapping his arms around the girl and hugging her tightly.

She gasped but her arms latched around him just as tightly, "Mike."

I glanced sideways to look at Steve for any possible answers but I got the impression he'd never seen this Eleven girl either, or El, as Dustin called her to me. He looked at me but he didn't seem confused, maybe he knew about her but he hadn't actually seen her before.

Slowly I took a step back to Dustin as the girl cried in the arms of Mike, the rifle I was holding discarded in my hand as it pointed towards the floor, "Dust.." I whispered as he stood next to Max and Lucas, "Is that?"

Dustin nodded wordlessly and my breath caught in my throat.

This girl — who they believed to be dead — had helped save Will and the party while being by their side for days. She had made a kid who bullied the boys piss himself in front of the entire school and she'd broke his arm.

Eleven was her actual name and she was basically a badass superhero.

"I never gave up on you." Mike said to her as they pulled away, the both of them crying, "I called you every night... every night for—"

"—353 days." Eleven cut him off, "I heard."

Watching the two brought a lump to my throat. It was emotional to see them together.

"Why didn't you tell me you were there?" He asked, confused, "That you were okay?"

"Because I wouldn't let her." Hopper said.