Chapter-1: Murdering My Phone

I step inside the elevator pushing the button for the fourth floor

I step inside the elevator pushing the button for the fourth floor. Like bees, the elevator is buzzing with people. Some talking over the phone, some talking among themselves while others waiting quietly for their floors. As the elevator dings on the fourth floor, I step out along with some other people who pass by me in a hurry to get to their work.

My eyes widen with amazement by the scene in front of. There is a bookshelf in one corner and an antique clock lies on the opposite wall. In the centre of the room lies a big work table which has heaps of charts and stuff. 

I see a man, holding up two pieces of fur and showing them to his co-workers, maybe asking for their opinions. Some people are roaming around with files in one hand while balancing a coffee mug in another. Some are chatting with one another, gossiping about other people's life. The liveliness and the hustle around fills me with energy. 

This is what I had been waiting for. For what I have been working my ass off for so many years. When I entered as a junior in high school, I decided that I wanted to go into Interior designing.

I remember the days when I was in the designing college. The hard work I put in, toiling day and night, juggling between classes and tour and making portfolios for submissions. There were days when I had only a little time to sleep trying to complete my shifts as a barista. 

I always wanted to do my internship here at 'G+B Designing Co'. The one of the biggest interior designing firms here in Los Angeles. Everybody at home said I am not going to make it. That I am not cut out for the real working world but I did.

Suddenly, I feel a shove from behind making me just lose my balance. Keyword being 'just'. It would have been so embarrassing to trip on your first day. But my phone wasn't so lucky in this regard as it fell on the wooden floor making a thud sound. 

"Oh My God. I am so sorry. I didn't mean that," I hear a shrill feminine voice from behind me.

I bend down to pick up my phone. Please, please don't be broken! I can't afford a new one right now. I pick it up to see that there is not a single crack on it. Thank God!

"Is it alright? Please tell me it is not broken. I would feel awful for breaking someone's cell phone on my very first day."

I turn around to see a blonde haired girl in front of me. She is dressed in a black knee length dress with a bag in her hand.

"Hey, I am Grace Handerson. New intern here. Is it okay?" She says extending her hand to me. Her eyes flickering towards the phone in my hand and all the while biting her bottom lip waiting for me to answer.