Her smile was full of love, there was no regret in her actions, "Here, my token of love." She was offering him the symbol of her queenship and power. She was offering him her world in that one moment. A covenant between them that she and him were tied together.

Jasreth took the wings and laid them carefully on the table.

He turned and saw that Miri had grabbed a green healing crystal and was about to heal herself.

Gently, almost lovingly, he took that out of her hands, "Here, let me"

Miri smiled up at him as he held her in his arms, totally trusting this man.

"You will heal. I will make sure you heal." Jasreth said as he kissed her on the lips, passing something into her mouth, he looked into her eyes, "But you can't right now."

"What?" Miri whispered feeling as if the world was melting around her. She was so dizzy, she thought it was because he was helping her heal. Whatever he had given her was making her so sleepy.

Jasreth held her gently and lovingly, he whispered, "I love you so much that you are part of my soul. The only way I can be with you forever is to make sure we live forever. You will be by my side until the end of time. But, my love, right now, you have to suffer just a little. Just a little, for me."

She fell into the darkness, wondering what had just happened. She had just given him her most precious gift. Wasn't she supposed to be leaving? What was going on?

Jasreth carried the sleeping woman back to her rooms and applied medicine to her back himself, being so careful that even the maids stared in shock. When did this prince whose was dark and ruthless show such a tender side? 

"This medicine, it will heal her?" He asked the physician. The man nodded, "Slowly, but surely it will heal her." 

He kissed her face and called his mages, "Make sure she is comfortable and asleep while we plan."

Turning to the maids, he ordered, "I want someone by her side at all hours. When it is time to apply medicine I will do it personally. I will feed her, and whatever else that needs to be done. If even a hair is out of place, I will skin all of you."

There was not much time left. Jasreth knew that he had what he wanted, it was time to move.

Three days later, the court of Londaros was gathering for a great feast when Jasreth stood up.

"Father, I would like to make a toast." Jasreth called out, he was resplendent in black, a smile at the corner of his lips. 

The king looked at his oldest son, and gave a nod. Ever since this son of his had come back from the City of Thieves, he had become a changed man. Just a few days ago, the king had given his son half the army of Londaros.

Jasreth looked around and smiled, "Today, is the day I take the throne."

Silence. Absolute silence followed. Jasreth continued, "Londaros has gotten weaker and weaker over the years. We worship the fae and their gods, while our neighbors become stronger. It is time to change. We should control the fae as our neighbors do. We have their ancient scrolls, we know more than anyone. We need to become stronger."

The king stood up, shaking in rage, "You...Guards!"

But no one moved. Jasreth smiled, "Father, if you think that I started plotting today, then you deserve to be usurped."

Jasreth snapped his fingers and guards took his father, mother and brother and forced them to kneel to Jasreth.

They looked at the eldest son in disbelief, but Jasreth merely smiled, "We as a nation have made a choice. We will take what is ours and my rule will be eternal."