Artificial Intelligence ::Prologue::

[New Story idea. Beware: There will be no love triangles, people getting pregnant, people putting on make up at every possible second or anything else like that. If you want that then READ SOMETHING ELSE. You're wasting your own time. Other than that: 3NJOY! Some people like ninjas, others monkeys... me? Robots... muahahaha....]

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

::Prologue::

Brushing back my black and turquoise hair, I glanced out the window of Oliver’s Cafe. Stephan had agreed to meet me here at two on the dot, but as usual he was late. Remind me why I used him for these jobs? Oh yeah... He was a blood relative – brother to be precise – and my Dad had made me. Yay... Party...

Deciding that he could very well buy his own drink I went up to the counter and ordered a hot chocolate – milk, cream, marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles and cinnamon – as well as a chocolate chip muffin.

“Ten dollars”, the lady behind the till asked. Her voice was flat with no hint of enthusiasm in her voice. I wondered why the owners of the café didn’t sack her already. There were so many people who would kill for that job. This place was actually quite classy with its high end leather booths and polished silverware imported from England. In fact it was rumoured that the royal family used the same brand.

I gave the attendant her money and went back down to my seat to see Stephan sitting down there. I smirked at him as I approached.

“Too late – buy your own”.

He looked at me pleadingly. “Traffic”, he whined pointing outside. Glancing through the large window which comprised most of the back wall I saw cars and taxis of all shapes and sizes at a standstill. What could you do? Upstate New York was always like this at two in the afternoon. Actually, it was always like this; period. Ask any New Yorker and they would tell you the same- “Use the legs God gave you”. Not all of them believed in God though so that was a mute point. Anyway.

I handed my little eighteen year old brother a crumpled ten dollar bill from my back pocket.

“Go knock yourself off”, I told him and he answered with one of his lopsided smiles. He was a cute little thing.

“Thanks Sissy. Can always count on you”, he said, making his way to the counter.

“Yeah don’t get used to it!” I called back sliding into the black leather. Crossing my legs I picked out a large chunk of my muffin and popped it in my mouth, my tongue exploding with flavour. That was why you came to Oliver’s.

I took a sip of my specialised hot chocolate letting the warmth settle in my stomach. I didn’t bother taking off my woollen gloves as I continued drinking my beverage in the signature oversized delft mug.

I heard someone cough above me. Looking up I saw a boy in around me same age as me, wearing a hoodie and jeans, His hair was in a beanie, but the tips could be seen peeking through the bottom, falling close to his blue eyes. Altogether he wasn’t very bad looking but I saw through his “innocent” gesture. It was a dare from his friends to come and see if he could sit here. That much was obvious from the snickering a few booths behind me and the way his eyes darted oh-so-discreetly to them just before he spoke.

“Is thi-” he began but I didn’t let him finish,

“Scram”, I told him flatly.  “It’s taken and here’s a little something for the performance. You and your friends back there might want to consider acting lessons”. I handed him a quarter.

He seemed too shocked to answer back and just stood there, mouth hanging open. Bored, I took out my Blackberry to see if I had any missed texts or calls. Not that I would, but I had to make him think I was busy.