borderline

As we stopped at a red light, River pulled a scarf out of his pocket.

"I have to be blindfolded again," I questioned, irritated that I would have to wait longer.
"Yes, c'mon," he laughed before putting it over my eyes and tying the back.

I could only imagine how stupid I must look.

"Everyone around us must think this is weird," I stated.
"Well they aren't getting a surprise so let them think it's weird."

A sighed as he continued to drive down the hot yet windy streets of Los Angeles. He finally stopped after a couple minutes, opening my car door and letting me out onto what felt like a sidewalk. Guiding me with a hand on my lower back and the other in my hand, we walked into a colder area.

"Hi, you must be River! It's nice to finally meet you," a voice announced. I just didn't know who it was coming from.

River and the woman talked back and forth, not giving any evidence towards where we might be. Like, at all.

"I was excited to here that we'd be working with you on an earlier date than in May."

May? May is the month they'll be presenting the house. But what does that have to do with being here?

Without warning, the blindfolded was lightly pulled off and I adjust my eyes to the lighting. We were in a circular-shaped room with mannequins lined against the walls in all sorts of dresses. There was a hallway down the center, leading to a large room filled with more organized dresses and dressing rooms. The walls were covered in white and the floors were of varnished marble. A chandelier was spotted hanging from the middle of the room.

I looked over noticing the woman who was speaking before. She was short with raven black hair and pale skin, not looking a day over 25 actually.

She stuck her hand out for me to shake which I did before speaking, "Nice to meet you Lia. Welcome to Esther Couture."

"It's nice meeting you too," I looked over at her name tag, "Wendy."
"You look confused," she laughed, "Trust me this is gonna be fun."

I nodded and looked at River who was smiling, "It's all a part of the surprise."
"I don't know what it is and I already know I'll never be able to top it," I said.
"That's the point," he gave me a kiss on the cheek, "I'm gonna go sit down, have fun."

I looked back over at Wendy who was already comparing fabrics to my complexion, "What would you say your perfect dress is? Like flowy or fitted, long or short, bright or dark? And the possibilities are endless, don't hold back."

"Well, I guess flowy dresses. Bright, but not like a really vibrant color. And long."
She nodded her head, "Are you open to sparkles?"
"Like rhinestones?" I questioned.

"No. How about I just show you, I thought of the perfect one."
She directed me towards the back and pulled out a black garment bag, moving towards a fitting room.

Once in the room, I unzipped the bag, eager to see what had been picked. It was a neutral pink, almost purple, and was sparkly. It didn't have rhinestones but it was bright, glitter unknowingly everywhere on the dress.

I slowly put it on and it fit my size perfectly, after Wendy zipped the back I walked out towards the mirror. By now there were more customers, watching as I examined every angle of the dress. It was perfect.

"Wow."
I turned to see River watching in awe as I smiled at his reaction, "You look amazing."
"Thanks, I like it."

He stood behind me as I continued to look in the mirror, wrapping his arms around my waist with his head rested on top of mine.