long time

River had left the hotel an hour ago saying he would be back and it dealt with the surprise. I was beginning to worry, especially because I hadn't talked to him since he left.

I paced back and forth in anticipation. I tried watching TV and even going sitting by the pool but it didn't work. Finally I decided to call him which to my relief, he picked up on the second ring.

Ophelia: Hello?
River: Hey.
Ophelia: Where are you?
River: Working on the surprise. You okay?
Ophelia: It's been an hour, I'm just anxious.
River: I'm sorry, gorgeous. I'll be back soon, just try to kill time.
Ophelia: Finneee.
River: I love you.
Ophelia: I love you too, bye.

I dropped my phone on the bed, thinking of ways to pass time. Finally deciding on going to the bar, I changed into a sundress and grabbed my wallet, the hotel key and my phone.

I had read in the hotel brochure that the bar had nonalcoholic drinks along with foods like wings, fries and burgers which I was craving for.

When I reached the bar, I sat at a stool and the bartender came by as I read the menu.

"What can I get for you?"
"A cardinal punch mocktail, lemon pepper wings and large fries please."
He nodded and walked away, starting my order, as a man sat down next to me.

He looked as if he was in his late 20s, having pale skin and loose black curls along with piercing green eyes and a heavy stubbled beard.

I turned back to my phone, keeping myself busy just as the bartender brought out my order. He took down the guy's right after.

As I ate he decided to strike up a conversation, "Hi." I looked over at his extended hand and lifted my hand to show the lemon pepper before he dropped his, "Hello."

Here we go again.

"My name's Benvolio. But I go by Ben."
I looked over again, "Like Shakespeare?"
"Yeah, my parents wanted to name me after one of his characters," he laughed.
"My parents did the same," I shook my head, laughing before taking another fry.
"Juliet?"
"No, Ophelia."

He hummed in acknowledgement, "Hamlet."
I nodded, the bartender came back with his order and I took the opportunity to ask for a refill.

"Let me get you a real drink," he started moving in closer as he spoke.
"I'm fine with this one," I tried to act bemused.
"Light drinker, huh?" Ben laughed, pointing to my drink in comparison to his which was vodka.
"Actually I'm not 21."
His eyes widened a bit before he composed himself again backing away, "Really?"

I nodded.
"Guess that's my fault for assuming. How old are you?" He mumbled the first part to himself but I still heard it clearly.
"Seventeen," I sounded nonchalant as if it were obvious but his expression said otherwise.
"Oh, wow," he looked at his drink, "So you're a high school senior?"
"Yup," I put emphasis on the 'p' before continuing, "What about you?"
"I'm 25. Now I feel bad."

I raised an eyebrow, "For what?"
"You must feel uncomfortable. I probably seem like a perv."
"I mean we're in a public place. Plus I've had plenty of overaged men catcall me, and continue after knowing my age. I've learned to handle it."
"That must suck."
"Unfortunately, you get used to it," I sighed.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of hands wrap around me, looking up, I saw River with a smile on his face.

"The surprise is ready."
"It only took you forever," I exaggerated.
I spun around on my stool, planting a kiss on his lips. River's eyes left mine and fell onto Ben who was looking between the both of us.

"Ben, this is my boyfriend, River. River, Ben." I pointed back and forth, only really introducing them so River wouldn't think he was randomly watching.

He looked shocked before he smiled, "Boyfriend? I need to start asking questions more often."
I genuinely laughed, "I agree." I looked back at River who still looked confused, "It's nothing, I promise. You ready?"

He nodded before I said bye to Ben which he returned, paid the bartender and walked out of the hotel. I noticed he didn't seem as excited as he did when he first walked in. In fact, he started doing little things he did when we first met, when he was still shy around me.

We stopped in front of a 1930 Packard Speedster before River opened the passenger door for me. I stood still in shock, turning to look up at him, "How?!"

"That's for me to know," he smiled slightly talking in a hushed tone. I got in before he did the same and began to drive off.
"River what's wrong?"

His old habits were clearly coming back within seconds, he was closing himself off again. He didn't even have to say anything, I already knew. By the look in his eyes, how he didn't have his free hand anywhere near me, and how quiet he was. I was used to his shyness, but not like this. It hasn't been like this in a long time.

"I'm fine," he tried speaking loud but it came out almost muttered.
"Don't lie, Atkins," I jokingly said, but I was serious. I shifted in his direction, watching him as he kept his eyes on the road, "Pull over."

This time he looked, "What?"
"Pull over."
"But we-."
"River, please pull over."

He sighed, before pulling behind a building into an empty parking lot. His hands were still on the wheel as he concentrated on them.
"Now tell me what's wrong."