75.

Little Creature

“WANGFEI...wangfei...” Yan Gen can already hear his maids eager and hopeful calls right when he was about to open his heavy eyelids.

       “Lan-er...” is that Wei furen's voice he's hearing?

       God... women, why can't they be silent for once? Can I not wake up in peace?

       His long and thick lashes fluttered a few times before he finally opened his eyes. As expected, there were many people crowding around him. His two handmaidens, Noble Consort Su, and Wei Furen. All of them exclaimed in joy upon seeing him fully awake.

       He has a feeling it will be much better if he woke up much later on, right when they were a few people left in his chamber. He closed his eyes for a moment then they all exclaimed again, as if he lost consciousness again and is in grieve situation.

       I was just trying to clear my head, what's with all the fuss?

       “Call the physician immediately!” Noble Consort Su sternly ordered as she clutched his hand.

       A servant waiting from outside his room heeded her order, his rapid foot steps faded outside.

       “Lan-er, does your body still hurts? Tell your mother” Wei Furen said, who's also clutching his other hand. Yan Gen tried to feel his body, he felt well, aside from his lower part where he feels a bit of ache. “A bit” he answered with a hoarse voice.

       “Are you hungry or thirsty?” Noble Consort Su followed up a question, before he could answer she quickly ordered the servants to prepare foods for him “That was stupid of me, of course you must be hungry”

      Yan Gen scratched his head, what's going on? Staring at the empty space for a minute, he felt confused, then slowly, it dawn him. He was pregnant! and he was giving birth just a while ago!

      “Where's my child?” He asked frowning, he didn't see his child anywhere. He can hear his heart beating fast and loud. Could it be...? No, he doesn't want to speculate it that way. He held his breath as he waited for an anwer, eyes wandering between Wei Furen and Noble Consort Su.

       “He was in another room, you need not to fret. Your child is safe and sound, he's perfectly healthy and is now currently being taken care of by a nanny” Noble Consort Su answered with a smile. She then tapped his hand “Although it was hard for you, you did a good job giving birth to him. Now you need to take care of yourself. If there's anything you need, you can tell me”

       “You have suffered, Lan-er” Wei Furen chimed in “Our grandchild has your beautiful round eyes”

      Noble Consort Su nodded in agreement. “Except for the eyes, he's the spitting image of Xiao Wu. He also cried so loudly, one can tell how vigorous he is!” his mother also replied “Once our grandchild grow up, he'll be the most handsome man in the Empire, he will probably break a lot of hearts”

      And so, both grandmothers chattered with enthusiasm about their grandchild and have forgotten about his existence. Yan Gen cleared his throat “I want to see him” he repeated.

       Wei Furen turned her head at him and made a laugh “Aiyah, we forgot that you wanted to see him.” she marched out of his chamber to get her grandson herself.

       “Xiao Wu would be elated once he heard of this great news!” Noble Consort Su commented but then remembered that her own son is out there in the battlefield, unsure of his own life, not knowing about his wife's pregnancy and couldn't be by his wife's side after she give birth

       So, with a guilty expression, as if she was the one at fault for ordering her daughter-in-law to deny her circumstances for a while, she laments “Xiao Wu... he would definitely be back, he will not let you become a widow and be with another man”

       Pursing his lips, Yan Gen remained silent for a moment. What does Zhu Mingli's presence can do in the first place? For moral support? He doesn't need that, it would be better if he can give half of the pain he had suffered in giving birth to their child.

       He's also suffering in the battlefield, he probably recieved a few stabs from his enemies. Yan Gen thought again and for some reason, it lessened his grievances.

       “Your daughter-in-law understand, my husband cannot be distracted in the battlefield or it might cause an unfavorable situation” Noble Consort Su sighed in relief after hearing his reply.

       “Lan-er, look at your son, so obedient. He rarely cried” his mother entered the room, carrying a bundled little creature in her arms.

        “Wa--wait” he became a bit flustered when Wei Furen put the baby in his arms, he doesn't know how to hold a baby!

       “Goodness, what kind of mother who doesn't know how to hold her own child?” Wei Furen holds the baby back in her arms and showed him how to hold the little guy before handing him back to his arms.

       Yan Gen look down at the baby in his arms who can barely open his eyes. He couldn't believe it, did he really give birth to this little guy?

       Though he feels strange, he couldn't deny the blissful feeling in his heart as he gaze down at his child. This is his own child. A warm smile tugged up on his lips.

       “Aside from the eyes, doesn't he look a lot like Xiao Wu?” Noble Consort Su excitedly asked him. Yan Gen blinked a few times, he then examined the baby's features. He tilted his head, they were also talking about it a few moments ago but he couldn't really tell. The baby looks all red.

       How can they say that he looks a lot like Zhu Mingli when he look like this?  He can barely open his eyes and they say he has my eyes?

       As it turns out, he lost consciousness for two days. No wonder when he woke up, everyone made a fuss.

       Wei Furen, although the Wei clan was in a dire situation before, the storm had passed, thus she was able to visit her daughter. She plead for Noble Consort to ask his majesty to grant her a permission to care for her daughter. And it seems, Noble Consort Su still has a place in his majesty's heart for he readily agreed to it.

       However, she couldn't stay in the Wangfu after Yan Gen regained his health since it was seen as inappropriate. The daughter she's taking care of is still a part of the imperial family and the Wei is already stripped out of their position after being accused of multiple crimes.

       Noble Consort Su left the wangfu after half an hour, it was getting late for her to return to the palace. She left a lot of tonics and clothes for the baby, she also told him repeatedly to look after herself well. Only then, did she left, albeit unwillingly.

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated :)

©Editer