64.

Schemes in the palace

      ✿

NOW, this is where daughter-in-law and mother-in-law started to get to really know each other, whatmore, this is no ordinary family Yan Gen married into, it is the imperial family! You wouldn't expect rainbows and unicorns. In the imperial family, there are always ‘thorns’ all around. This marriage is more than the obsession of Zhu Mingli, there is always an existing political factor. The palace is certainly not an ideal place for fairytales despite being the common setting for it, and Yan Gen doesn't have a good feeling whenever he step inside the palace, trouble will find him soon if he did.

However, he didn't expect the storm to come this soon before he could even take a single step inside the palace.

That's right, trouble came at him again but this time, it seems to be more grievous than he thought for Zhu Mingli's expression turned dark when a man servant whispered something to him from outside the carriage where they are riding on the way to the palace. Both of them threw me a look, Zhu Mingli has a frown on his face, the man servant on the other hand wore a worried look as he threw me a glance and withdraw, knowing well that it will be inappropriate to stare much longer.

“What's going on?” Zhu Mingli didn't bother to answer Yan Gen's Inquiry, his face became grimmer as he look in a distance as if thinking deeply of a very serious problem. The carriage already come to a stop not long ago when that man servant come over and told some bad news to him. “Go back straight to the estate” he told the coachman and pulled Yan Gen in his embrace, kissing his temple ever so gently “Don't go out of the estate” he said sounding firm and commanding, contrary to how he holds him now.

“Go back? but we're almost there in the palace” Yan Gen said, eyeing the imposing palace gate from far away. “I will tell you later, for now go back and don't take a single step outside” Zhu Mingli repeated, though he doesn't want to show his emotions to his wife, his eyes betrayed him, reflecting his worry.

“Your highness?” the servant from outside called out, anxious of the time. Zhu Mingli kissed his wife's cheek one last time before reluctantly parting with her. He threw her one last look after getting off the carriage and boarded another one, going straight to the palace, while Yan Gen's carriage went back to the estate.

“Meigui, go outside and inquire what's going on in the palace, check at the Wei main estate too” Yan Gen ordered his own maid servant instead of any other servant. The rest of the servants here are all Zhu Mingli's and he knew full well that they are only loyal to him and Zhu Mingli might had ordered them to told him a lie if he was to order them to do the job.

Surprisingly, even Meigui was stopped at the entrance of the ¹Wangfu's gate. Zhu Mingli is obviously trying to keep him in the dark. For what? He doesn't know. In order to protect him? to save him from worry? Wouldn't it be more worrying if he's ignorant of his own predicament. Yan Gen will be more worried not knowing anything, so he ordered Meigui to sneak out. It's better for her to do the job for him, he's a wangfei now thus all the servants in the Wangfu are looking out for him, furthermore, he's heeding Zhu Mingli's warning. The situation is serious, he knows that, he wouldn't be so stupid as to go against Zhu Mingli and put himself into trouble by going outside himself.

Of course, he also doesn't want to put his beloved maidservant in an imminent danger so he warned her “Don't go too far and don't push yourself, okay? It's okay if you come back with a few information, your safety still comes first” to which Meigui replied with a smile and nodded.

Yan Gen waited anxiously in the Wangfu, pacing back and forth. The Wangfu is big, pacing back and forth from his new courtyard to the gate certainly takes time. He tried diverting his attention by reading one of those books his dear mother gave him to pleasure the prince and curry favor with him. Well, it's not like he's going to put it in action anytime soon, he's reading it merely for entertainment but of no use. He's way too bothered, after some time, Baihe told him to eat first, he didn't know it was already lunch time. After having his lunch, Yan Gen sat inside the pavilion beside a man made lake full of white lotus, it kinda reminded him of those girls who are like white lotus.

Again, he tried entertaining himself by playing Go with Baihe and munching foods while listening to a relaxing music and yet his mind still keep drifting to the current problem he's in.

Unbeknownst to him, the sky gradually became dark.

“Wangfei, do you want to eat dinner first or would you like to wait for his highness?” if Baihe wasn't there to remind him to eat, he would have forgotten to feed himself “I'll eat dinner first” he replied.

It was already nearing midnight and none of them came back, he didn't think that Zhu Mingli will come back at this time around, he's more worried about Meigui, that girl sometimes goes too far. Could it be... Yan Gen shook his head from thinking of those unfavorable possibilities.

Just as when he was about to shove a piece of meat in his mouth, Baihe leaned on him and whispered “Sister Meigui has returned” he almost choked on his own food. This girl... she could have waited for him to swallow down the food first. Baihe immediately offered him a cup of water.

“Do I let her in now?” Yan Gen furiously nodded his head “quickly let her in”

At the sight of Meigui, Yan Gen noticed her swollen red eyes looking like she cried a bucket of tears, he ran up to her, inspecting her body “Meigui dear, what's wrong?” his voice was lace with wear and that made Meigui burst into tears in front of him. “Wangfei...” she miserably called out with a trembling voice, clutching the wide sleeve of his hanfu.

His heart skipped a beat, he knew what was coming, it was laid right in front of him though he doesn't know the full details of it. “The Wei clan...” Yan Gen gulped and held his breath, waiting for Meigui to drop the bombshell.

¹Means prince's estate, I got tired using the literal english meaning since it's too long.

I hope you are all doing well :)

©Editer