29.

27th May, 1940

It was now fully dark in New York, and raining, pretty hard. Tony swore he could hear thunder as-well.

He had just walked out of the subway station and was already soaked wet. He was defenceless without an umbrella.

The boy had no idea where to go. Well, he knew the area, but that wasn't the point. He didn't want to go home as he didn't want Howard or Jarvis to see him like this.

They would ask questions.

The only place he could think to go was to Natasha's, but Clint would be there, and Clint was nosy and couldn't keep his mouth shut.

So the next person on his list?

"Pepper." He said to himself.

He walked faster when he saw the phone box in the distance, hoping there would be a telephone book in there.

Please, please...

Tony threw the door of the box open, internally cheering as the first things his eyes fell upon was a thick book on a small, circular table.

His hands grabbed the leather book, turning straight to where the letter "V" would be.

"Virginia. Pots." He frustratingly said to himself. "Virginia. Fucking. Potts." His hands impatiently turned each page over and over again. For about a minute, until he found what he was looking for.

Taking no time in picking up the phone on the wall, tears confined to fall.

"Hello?" A random voice spoke.

"Take me through to Virginia Potts' line." He demanded.

"Alright." It all went silent for a while, until a bright voice came through the other end.

"Virginia Potts, who's speaking?"

"Pepper?" He tried you sound happier, but she saw through him.

"Oh my, Tony?"

"Yeah..."

"What's wrong? Are you alright?"

"Yes. I'm fine." He changed the subject. "Anyway, do you mind if I came round to visit?"

"Uh... Yeah? Sure." She now sounded confused.

"Thank you. I'll be there soon." He went to hang up but heard her call for him again.

"Wait, Tony! Don't you need my address?"

"Oh... Yeah I do." She chuckled at his obliviousness.

(A/N did America even have phone boxes? 😳😂)