23.

26th May, 1940

"Dad, I'm home." Tony shouted throughout the mansion, taking his soaked coat and shoes off.

He had decided to walk home from the cinema, and during that time, it had begun to rain. Way more than before.

The last 15 minutes had been hell, but before that, he'd had a great time.

But now he was thinking hard about what he was going to say.

Oh god, should I lie?

Should I tell him it went wrong?

"Hey kid!" Howard turned his head (that was once facing the TV) around to face his son. "So... How did it go?"

The man smiled brightly, standing up to turn the television off. He then walked over to Tony.

"I... I don't think it's going to happen." He looked down, trying to have a guilty look on his face.

"Oh Tony, I'm sorry." He put his hand on the boy's shoulder. "As they say though, there's plenty of fish in the sea."

"We're still going to stay friends..."

"Good, Natasha is a lovely girl." He smiled. "Well, you still have a chance with Pepper, right?"

"Yeah, I guess."

Oh God, no I don't. I don't think I feel anything towards Pepper.

God, why don't I feel anything for these girls? They're lovely, charming and respectable.

What is wrong wi-

"Tony! My boy, how did it go?" Howard let go of his shoulder as Jarvis entered the room.

"Bad, J. He is still a single man. Isn't that right, kid?" Tony just nodded, holding a straight face.

He tried to look upset about it, but the only thing that upset him about the whole situation was the fact he was lying to the men.

"Oh well, there's more girls out there, I say." Jarvis said proudly, continuing his walk through the living room to the hallway.

"That's what I said!" Howard exclaimed.

"Listen to your dad, kid. You'll know when you find 'the one'" Jarvis said, before disappearing down the corridor.

The one.

"How about I cheer you up? Take you out for some ice cream?" Howard said, sympathetically.

"Uh, no. I think... I think I'd prefer to be in my room." Tony said, walking out of the living room without a second thought.

When he got into his own room, he made sure the door was securely locked. Once he was satisfied, he headed over to his bed, eyes catching the piece of paper lay on his bedside once again.

The boy smiled at the photo, taking it in his grasp. He studied the portrait very carefully, noticing that it seemed as bold as ever. All of his features stuck out, the shading was perfect...

Steve was truly amazing at art.

But if Steve was so good, then why didn't he aspire to be an artist? He clearly has a passion for it. This is the question that buzzed round Tony's mind.

Steve.