Chapter 26 *NEW*

NOTE: Dear audiobook listeners! You guys are in for a treat this week because kaelking12 debuts the new voice for a new character! 

CHAPTER 26 

Lacey

There are a million kinds of eyes in this world. Ones that tell stories. Ones that refuse to say anything at all. Ones you wish you hadn't looked at in the first place.

I've spent so much time avoiding gazes.

Avoiding people.

Shutting out the noise of their histories and tragedies.

But his—whisper out to me through the silence.

Some part of his sadness is familiar.

It spills out from behind his sunglasses through impossibly green eyes.

Ones that flicker and fade like broken sea glass smoothed out by the violence of a storm.

Ones full of contention and confusion, and hope and wonder.

Which is why, I decide to memorize them. To keep them somewhere safe, somewhere close, so that maybe I can hear their story someday.

So I can hear him without even having to speak.

Like we are now.

Standing in the middle of a quiet classroom.

Starting a story.

Without a sound.

***

I'd been warned.

Barely even two days into finding my way around the Mission Bay jungle and I already know his name.

Elias King.

"The Black Stallion", "The Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse", the notorious party boy and heartbreaker who most girls can't resist. "He's one to watch out for," they said. "One to call for a good time. One to keep at a safe distance. One to remember."

A thousand titles with a million stories to go along with them.

I tried to shut them out. I smiled and nodded and did my best not to pay attention to the same kind of talk that made me leave Cardinal.

But that didn't stop the chatter. The two girls who showed me around campus yesterday even gave me a run down of all the routes I could take to class just to avoid running into him.