The True Meaning of Cruelty

Start from the beginning

"Oh? Projecting ourselves, are we?"

"Ha! Are you joking? I am well aware of how physically attractive I am. I can use my charms in any way I see fit and mold my personality into a facade to trick any man or woman into falling for me. But that is all they are falling for. A fake." She laughed. "You are perhaps the only person who knows my true self. I think we can both agree that I am way too much for even myself. I am just that special, is all." Her smile did not falter.

"Such desperate measures in order to obtain even a light caress... Fortunately, someone like me could teach you how to have at least a bit of decency," he joked.

"Oh, absolutely not. I'm quite sure the desperate one between us is you. I have no doubt that you would go as far as humping a fallen tree if given the chance."

Such trivial interchange of words continued back and forth as they crossed the bridge. It may have been tiresome, and even bothersome at times.

But deep down, it was heartwarming to spend their time like that.

***

Defeated. For the first time in years, the princess's appointed knight had been defeated.

Even more humiliating was the fact that such crushing defeat had been the product of a sparring session. And now, this 'Ezlo', or whatever his real name was, knew about Zelda's true identity, along with his apprentice.

Even if they were trying to help—or at least it seemed like it—he should have known something was odd since that night when he saw 'Paya' watching Zelda as she slept.

It still kept gnawing at the back of his mind though... 'Ezlo' had completely crushed him in a matter of seconds. Link hadn't been able to land a single blow on him. And his opponent was barely even putting in any effort...

Power...

He needed to become more powerful...

I have to protect you. I must.

I won't let you get hurt.

***

You finished crossing the bridge just as the sun was beginning to set. There was a cold yet gentle breeze in the air... It was all too familiar by now. To think that the only two places you had ever thought of as 'home' were so different, yet made you feel so... at peace. The thought of being so close to Rito Village now sparked a child-like enthusiasm inside you that you hadn't felt in a long time.

That is when you felt it.

"Ow—!!"

A burning sensation in your hand, as if you had just touched burning wood... or, fire.

"What is it?" Vaati asked, surprised.

"I felt something burn me just now..."

Instead of answering, he simply looked behind, turning his face slightly upward. His eyes widened for a second, as if there was something there that you couldn't see, but he could.

Actually, that must precisely have been the case.

Just like how it had happened with Hestu a few weeks before, he pulled you closer...

...And this time, you saw it.

You couldn't hold in a massive gasp.