Through the Facade

I awaken to the murmuring sounds of people around me, moving as living statues. Everything about this is so monotone, so pathetic...

The only thing that stands out is her, sitting beside me with that stupid grin on her face. Thank the gods she's not grinning at me though, or my mood would be even worse than my nightmares left it as. No, she's looking at a book on her lap, an old one at that...

"What's so funny?" I groan.

She looks up at me, her expression changing for a split second before she smiles again. "Look." She points at an illustration.

...Please tell me this isn't what she's smiling at...

"The books almost make him look cute, wouldn't you agree?"

...What?

"...Are you daft?"

"No, seriously. There's many ways you could make a giant winged eyeball look way more menacing than this... Now, don't you think a miniature version of this little guy would be adorable? There used to be a race of people who lived in the forest long ago, and they had companion fairies. Imagine one of these little guys as a companion. Wouldn't that be interesting—"

"[Y/n], there are far too many words in my vocabulary yet I cannot find the words to tell you how much I wish we had never engaged in this conversation."

You are getting on my nerves.

***********************************

"You know, little guy... You still haven't told me your name."

"...Huh?"

"Yeah, your name. Ya know, us Gorons are all for lending our strength to pals in need, but the least you could do is tell me your name."

"Oh... right." How could I not see something so simple coming? I sought the corners of my mind, trying to remember a name, something that could make sense...

Remember that you are also a man now...

"...So?"

"...Daphnes."

"...Really? After one of the greatest kings of Hyrule?"

"...Y-Yes. My parents were really close to the Royal Family, so they named me after the ancient King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule."

"Well... I hate to say it, little guy... but you don't look like a Daphnes to me. You look more like a Daphne!"

He started roaring in laughter. I... I didn't know what to do. I could only smile awkwardly.

"Oh, come on! I was only joking, pal! Thing is, you really gotta put some more muscle on! People're gonna mistake you for a defenseless maiden with those noodly little arms of yours!"

"Y-Yeah... That's something my father used to tell me as well. That's why I must continue to train hard! I must get stronger to protect myself and my friends! That's... That's why my parents sent me on this journey, after all."

"RIGHT ON, LITTLE GUY!!"

He gave me a pat on the back... or at least I think that's what he tried to do, because the next thing I knew, I had collapsed upon the ground...

***********************************

"LEAVE MY SIGHT."

Your blood boiled seeing those men before you. They were defeated, yet they breathed still. As long as their hearts kept beating, they would find ways to bring suffering to innocent people...

But killing them would make you no better than them.

Still, it was an offensive sight.

You didn't even have anything they would consider valuable, and yet they would choose to pull a sneak attack on you both in the middle of a forest?

Tch.

A simple spell was enough to knock them against the trees surrounding you, rendering them unconscious.
Pathetic.

Behind you, Vaati began clapping his hands slowly as he walked towards you.

"I must admit, I'm impressed. You do have your uses."

Oh, that arrogance of his...

"Don't forget that I was the one who saved you from certain death," you glared at him.

"And you are just like a child." He looked past you, bringing a finger to his lips. "You can't see your death coming even when it is right behind you."

He whispered something, and then...

"NGRAAAGH...!"

A man's voice resounded right next to you, followed by the sound of his sickle falling to the ground along with his body...

You looked at him, and then at Vaati. You weren't surprised to see that same arrogant grin on his face.

"But... how—"

"I don't understand why you don't just get rid of useless worms like them," he muttered, kicking one of the unconscious bodies aside. "They serve no purpose at all. They are incredibly inept even on what should be their sole purpose for existing."

They are incredibly inept even on what should be their sole purpose for existing...

Those words resounded hard... They made you freeze on the spot. His grin was gone the moment he noticed it, yet it didn't seem to be out of kindness, but rather morbid curiosity.

"Oh no, it appears I have it a nerve, have I?"

No.

You looked up at him and tilted your head, raising an eyebrow and smirking at him. "What do you mean? Of course not." No, of course not. "Though you're right... It would be better to dispose of people like them. However, that would make me no better, in a way... Killing monsters is different than killing actual humans, you see..."

He nodded. "Well, but wouldn't you agree that some humans can be way more vile than any monster could ever be?"

You raised your gaze automatically. "...Nobody has ever agreed with me on that before..."

"Huh... Well. That is likely because you always make such angry faces and scare people away."

You chuckled. "Perhaps."

Well, the time is now...

"...You know, Vaati... You really are an arrogant asshole, you know that?"

"You do know that I just saved your life, right, idiot?"

"Right. But I wasn't finished. Even though you can be a real pain to deal with, I'm actually glad we met..."

Now, don't provoke him too much... Flatter him, but do not cross the boundaries of honesty.

"You see, up until now, I had never met anyone who could even rival my skills in magic... And you, well... You would absolutely destroy me if we ever were to battle against each other. Not only that, but you seem to be really wise for your age, and you also have a unique insight on a lot of things. I think a lot of people would judge you badly if they were to spend too little time with you, but... well, I think you actually have many good things to offer to the world."

He was silently listening to you, a serious expression on his face.

"Even if you happen to be that Wind Sorcerer from the legends."

Those were the last words that came out of your lips before you hit the ground.