To Defy the Gods

You had a dream that night.

A vision of a distant past, unfamiliar to anything you had ever seen or felt before.

A violent storm raged on at the highest spot in the castle, the menacing wind feeling like blades cutting the skin on your face.

You could hear an old man's voice yelling at the back of your head...
Literally.

"Blocking his spells isn't enough, Link!!"

Link...?

"You must strike him down now!!"

The figure in front of you, the one causing this chaos...

You would recognize him anywhere. He looked so different, so warped from his form and mind... Even the sound of his voice was enough to freeze your soul's core.

"YOU CANNOT STOP ME. YOU ARE NOTHING BUT BUGS CRAWLING ON THE GROUND. YOU ARE NOTHING!!"

Your waking mind was telling you to drop the sword. To call out to him, to tell him it was you...

You knew this was just a vision of the past, yet it hurt so much...

Why would such a vision come to you? Why would you be in the Hero's body, and why now? What did this mean...?

...The sight of the sword piercing his chest, the sound of his voice the moment he screamed and gasped for air...

It overshadowed everything else.

Even as he transfigured into that winged beast, your heart twisted in pain at what you had seen...

That is when everything warped into a different scenery.

***********************************

We towered before Hyrule's inept king, surrounded by the corpses of the apostates that had long infested the land.

He pathetically bowed down to me, begging for his life to be spared.

"Where are your Goddesses now?" The voice behind me spoke.

"I will only ask this of you once." I held the sword steadily in my hand, pointing it at the King's chest. "Relinquish your crown, Father."

Your Goddess cannot save you now.

"Relinquish your crown to me."