Dreams of a Mage

I had another dream. One of many; a sweet melody of warm bliss. A memory of a childhood fantasy, perhaps? Or a simple machination fabricated by my mind as simple comfort?
***********************************
I had a dream. The first one I have had in millennia. An endless cacophony of cold waters which drowned my screams. Was it a prophecy of a catastrophe yet to come? Or a nightmare which my blackened heart mocks me with?
***********************************
The feeling of the grass under my feet, the rustling of overgrown leaves around me... It all felt so strange, yet so familiar somehow...
I heard someone call my name, which isn't actually my name, and I turned around to see my old mentor looking at me with his stern yet warm stare, telling me it was time to get to work.
***********************************
The feeling of the cold snow and the glassy sand under my naked feet, the burning sun and the howling wind sending shivers through my body... It all felt so strange yet, so familiar somehow...
As my vision fades to black, I can see different people, different places mixed together in this endless concoction of misfortune.
I hear the old woman begin chanting behind the door, which can only mean that I must get to work.
***********************************
Ours is the best kind of work. Our people already live happily together, so we must give this happiness to others as well. That's why we do our best to do little things for those who are less fortunate than us, those who are so fascinating.
Because we love humans.
***********************************
I have begun memorizing some of her spells. This is something I must do for me, for her, and for those like me who are simply struggling to be safe. But in this land, people like me and the old woman are so rare, that it is often best to keep our gifts hidden.
Because you can't trust humans.
***********************************
My vision warps, time passes, and as I spend time observing these things called humans, I become enthralled by their hearts, by their desires...
But...
Things aren't always the way my master told me they were.
Some things are so disturbing and yet so... so...
...Fascinating...
***********************************
My vision warps, time passes, and as I spend more time making the most of this gift of mine, I also commit the sin of letting my guard down around disgusting humans like myself.
...And even worse, committing the same sins as them.
**********************************
"Oh, what a vile form you've taken...!"
***********************************
"Oh, this cannot be...! What have you done...?!"
***********************************
I have earned this power.
***********************************
I have earned this power.
***********************************
Everything will burn at my feet if I will it so.

**********************************

You woke up shortly before dawn, only to find that Vaati was still sleeping beside you. 'What an odd dream,' you thought. You were having a lot of those lately...

Something was gnawing at the back of your mind. Now, you weren't really a believer of the legends, but...
Well, it was no secret that your dreams had never been anything you could call ordinary, especially when they were as vivid as this.

You got up slowly and carefully so that Vaati wouldn't wake up, especially considering what you were about to do. Well, but, if your suspicions were NOT correct, then there would be nothing to worry about, right? But it was strange... It was the first time in a while that you had been so on-edge.

You had noticed the moment you met him that he was certainly not an ordinary person. And, well... If he was a normal Hylian, there had to be a reason his parents gave him that name...

But you had never heard of any cults or any group for the matter who worshipped the Evil Wind Sorcerer Vaati the legends spoke about. And even if such a group existed, the Royal Family would have disposed of them long ago...

The books at the stable didn't have any illustrations of the Sorcerer's alleged humanoid form. They only talked about his cunning tricks, lack of shame, and even alleged depravity and perversion. However, they didn't even describe his physical appearance; only that he took the form of a child. Did his humanoid form have lavender hair and crimson eyes as well? What about the distinct color of his skin?

Nothing, nothing, NOTHING.

You were getting frustrated.

You thought you could work something out, but...

You sat on the bed, defeated, and could only stare at him while your brain worked around a plan.

All this time, you had relied on your own cunning tactics and by tipping the scales in your favor.

This time, though...

This time, the odds were against you.

The odds were against you, and you didn't like it.

—————————————————

Wow, it feels so good to be back! Work has been hectic lately and I apologize for the long wait! Things should start calming down around July, I think, but I'll do my best to be more active! I really hope you guys are liking the story so far, because I'm putting a lot of effort into it! I've already written down how the story is going to progress, but the hard part of it is writing each chapter down and making it interesting imo. Anyway, hopefully I won't take so long to write the next chapter this time LMAO