Nightmares

[Y/n]...

The same, gentle voice called out to you once more. It was almost like a sweet melody, one only you could hear. Usually, it only showed up in your dreams, but lately, you could swear it was calling your name during the day as well.

The same blinding light enveloped you among the darkness, and now you could see the same girl from your dreams, speaking to you... whispering...
But what was she saying...?

As always, the scenery changed before you could even call out to her... a recurring memory that you struggled to lock away.

You could hear the leaves rustling around you, a warm breeze caressing your face, as if it were reassuring you that everything was going to be alright.

It was odd, looking back to that day now, since that had been the same day your life would change forever. For a moment, you were certain that you had made it, that you had finally escaped that bittersweet prison masked by gentle smiles and warm laughter.

But still, you were merely a child, and though you were smart, all those selfish adults around you had their own motifs...

I just need to make it past the gate, you thought. Then I'll be free. I'll be able to live my life any way I want to!

...How did the dream go after that, again? Why would you want to think about it anyway?

Recurring dreams and nightmares like these annoyed you. You had grown used to them, but after so many years, you couldn't tell whether they were visions of the past, or the future.

You remembered seeing the sword before you, the dark aura emanating from it as if that dark smoke sought to plague the world with its mere existence... The glowing, golden light came next, along with the strong blast of wind that sent you flying away.

You remembered feeling a rush of anger... but at the same time, the most wicked kind of pleasure filled your heart, sending more adrenaline through your body than you had ever felt before.

[Y/N!!]

The voice was one of a male this time. The man you were closest to until that incident at the castle...
But there was no reason to reject your choice.

What came next was something unexpected. It wasn't part of your usual nightmares, but it was just as bizarre. Except, you didn't remember seeing anything quite like it before...

A monstrous shadow towered before you, with only the sound of your racing heart filling the dark void of your new night terror. The sword flashed before your eyes, again and again, and the wind grew stronger still.

A sense of dread filled every fiber of your being, and you opened your mouth to scream to no avail.

The female voice you'd heard before echoed once more as a beacon of light shone above you.

You must now awaken, [Y/n]...

You opened your mouth to say something, anything, but only a ragged sound came out of it, like that of a scared animal.

[Y/n]...

The air inside your lungs turned into dust, and your heart threatened to stop any moment. You could feel your body start to freeze, as if you were turning into stone...

With a piercing scream, your mind returned to the real world.