The Grieving Madwoman

Having promised to meet at Rito Village in a few days, Kass took to the sky, leaving me alone with [Y/n].

...She seemed very fond of him. Even though he couldn't see us anymore, she continued waving at him until he disappeared behind the horizon, a warm smile on her face.

"I'm glad we're getting to visit Rito Village together... I think you'll like it there." She was now quietly staring space, perhaps the same spot where Kass had disappeared, I thought.

"Why do you think I'd like it there?" I was genuinely intrigued.

"Well, it is said that you once had a Palace of Winds somewhere in the sky. Rito Village obviously can't compare, but it is a beautiful, calm place where the winds blow freely, and you can watch over many places in Hyrule from the highest spot in the village. Its residents are so kind as well... When I lived there, we used to sing and dance together, and they also like teaching history to their younglings by putting on plays and singing songs... Did you know I played your character once?"

"Is that so..."

She nodded slowly. "I've also helped Kass with the composition of new songs as well. To me, the days I spent there, singing and dancing without a care in the world are some of the days I will forever cherish in my heart." She stopped, then frowned before shaking her head. "Ugh, look at me... I'm getting so emotional right in front of you... You'll never let me hear the end of it now, will you?"

"Indeed I will not," I chuckled in amusement. When I fixed my gaze on the side of the road, though... I saw what looked like a tree, except that it seemed to have hands and feet of its own, and it was... moving? I moved closer, and it was saying... something. Like it was talking to itself.

"Excuse me?"

"WHA—?! Wait... You! You can... You can see me?!" The creature had a squeaky voice, and it was so loud I couldn't help but cringe.

"Vaati? What are you doing?"

I was at a loss for words...

"Hey, [Y/n]... You know more about this than I do. What is this?"

She looked at me like I had gone insane.

"What are you talking about?"

The creature spoke next. "No chance, bud. She can't see me. Only children can... well, supposedly..."

I looked at the creature, and then back at [Y/n].

"...You can't see it?"

"I told you, I can't see anything." She crossed her arms and looked at me for a moment. "But... now that I think about it, I wasn't able to see things I should have been able to see as a kid... Creatures such as Koroks or dragons that supposedly only those that have pure hearts are able to see. Maybe it's because you were once a Picori?"

The creature jumped in place. "Picori...?! I've heard the Great Deku Tree mention that word before... Hmmm... But when...?"

"That could be it," I nodded. I was certainly not 'pure of heart', as things were. "Hey, [Y/n]. Stand next to me. I want to try something."

She did as I asked, and I took her hand as she leaned on my shoulder while focusing my vision on the creature before us. If I focused hard enough, she should at least get a glimpse of it, right?

"Shoko... You guys, you're making Hestu feel embarrassed..."

Was our bond not strong enough? She should at least make out his silhouette...

"Hmm... I think... Oh! Ah, no... I thought I saw something, but... No, I don't think so..." She moved away. It was obvious that this was not going to work anytime soon. "We should get going though. Akkala can get dangerous if we stay out too late, with all these trees and Lynels roaming around. We should find a stable as soon as possible."