Chapter 21

"I CAN'T READ THIS STUPID BOOK ANYMORE!" I roared, slamming my copy of A History of Magic shut on the table as we sat in the library the day before the second task. "I'M DYING OF BOREDOM!"

"It's been only twenty-three seconds, Lexi," said Fred. "You've only read the title."

"And I think we have exactly twenty-three seconds to run away before Madam Pince kicks us out," said George, pointing at the angry librarian who was pacing quickly towards us.

"Go! Go!" I hissed and we all stood up, packing our stuff as quick as possible before running out of the library.

I breathed in heavily, and said with a relieved smile, "Ah... freedom at last."

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?" Fred mused with a knowing grin.

"Did what?" I questioned obliviously as we made our way outside.

"Yelled on purpose so Madam Pince would kick us out so you wouldn't have to study," George continued.

     "I have no idea what you're talking about." I shrugged at them innocently.

     "You're something else, Hooper." Fred shook his head in disbelief and smiled.

"Oh, honestly, boys," I started, "which do you really rather? Writing your transfiguration essay or come with me to get some food?"

They looked at each other and then back at me. "Food," they said together.

***

We were on time for lunch when we got to the Great Hall. We were sitting there for quite some while before George broke the silence.

     "By the way," he started, "Fred and I came up with this awesome game last night. It's mental, of course–"

     "–which is why it's so brilliant." Fred completed him.

     "So what's the name of the game?" I asked curiously.

     "Hide-and-go-seek-danger-tag!" They said together.

     I chuckled. "And how does that work?"

     "Easy! We go to the dark forest and let things flow smoothly however as it wishes." Fred replied mischievously.

     I could remember precisely that in the first book Hagrid had said that he had spent half of his life chasing Fred and George away from the dark forest, and I chuckled at the thought.

But my smile quickly disappeared for a second as a few thoughts wandered into my head.

     "What's wrong?" George asked, reading from my expression.

      "You really want me to come?" I wondered.

     "Of course." Fred shrugged cooly. "Why?"

     "Well... I dunno," I started, "I mean... why would you guys want to hang out with me this much, anyway?"

     "What? So it's a crime to hang out with people these days?" Fred grinned.

     "No," I shrugged. "But usually it used to be just the two of you for these stuff. You know? Or for inventing your joke-shop supplies. Not even Lee, who's been your best friend for the last five years. Why would you even include me?"